Hpi Savage X SS rebuild!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumo Savage

I bought a Savage on Craigslist a while ago and thought everything would go perfectly and i would be jumping her in no time. Naturally it didn't go as planned. She has no power, the rear diff is blown, the clutch bushing is giving me problems, and needs a tune. I was trying to sell it but I moved on and forgot. I'm going to try to rebuild it now. Can you let me know what to buy? I'm trying to keep the price to a minimum. I thought of these so far:

I would keep it for sure, once your done fixing it, it will be a blast. anyway, yes , piston sleeve may be in order, pull diff out and see what is broken and replace as needed, clutch assembly and better get some bearings , their fairly cheap, and get an extra 2. they get hot and go out faster then the others .while diff is out pull front and inspect and clean, I don't know your knowledge base on these trucks, but I run red bearing grease on the pinion and ring gear, and run diff oil in diff. I run 50,000 diff oil front and rear, around 5 bucks. check all bearings throughout.

if your rebuilding the motor, yes, you need both, hopefully theres no engine damage I haven't seen . what is the compression like, with glow plug in, does it have tight compression when piston is at tdc, hard to turn over?. if so don't rebuild, should be fine just replace roto or pull start bearing.

No it's easy to start. The problem is keeping it running. I'm not to to rc's but I am to nitro so I'll be taking it to the hobby shop to learn first hand how to tune the engine and transmission. The compression isn't great i think, thats why i got the piston and sleeve.

ok. a way to tell if a nitro motor has no compression is , with a new glow plug , you start motor and it dies after a few seconds and wont start till fully cooled down. I like nitro s best, you can run as long as you want, and I like the noise and the smell. if you rebuild motor, let me know,

ok. a way to tell if a nitro motor has no compression is , with a new glow plug , you start motor and it dies after a few seconds and wont start till fully cooled down. I like nitro s best, you can run as long as you want, and I like the noise and the smell. if you rebuild motor, let me know,
The piston should be here by mid april lol so in the the mean time i'll be working on other things. Don't forget though because I'll need some help later. I also bought the hd diff ring and pinion too. I'll prob buy the clutch shoes and spring later after I get it running good.

Don't hold your breath. I wish hpi would get there act together. The piston should be here by mid april lol so in the the mean time i'll be working on other things. Don't forget though because I'll need some help later. I also bought the hd diff ring and pinion too. I'll prob buy the clutch shoes and spring later after I get it running good.

Update: The HD diff ring and pinion are here, the piston and sleeve is too, my dad went to japan and got me mugen aluminum clutch shoes and two sets of 1.0 springs for like $10. I'm also ordering diff shims, another diff ring because the front is also ruined and some other goodies.

I was frustrated today because I was painting a body and had nonstop problems. I ended up using more than a whole bottle of faskolor paint to paint the first color due to air brush problems. I decided to work on the savage. I got the shims and now I'm going to start rebuilding the engine. I took off the piston and sleeve out and the crankshaft is like a rotted rust color. The sleeve has lines on it from leaving it at top dead center. I did tap the mounting screw holes to fit bigger screws because they were stripped. I also put on the clutch shoes and springs. Happy Easter! I'll post up the pics tomorrow.

Hi, make sure you clean that crank before rebuilding and check the bearings are smooth.If the inner fails that will be the end of your new piston and sleeve :(

I know this is a commonly asked question but how do I post pics with photobucket. Maybe you should make a sticky on all the major forums on how to do it or even just the pictures and videos forum would be helpful. Thank you.

notch is facing the exhaust port that i can see in first picture so sleeve is in right. put piston at bottom dead center and try lightly tapping it down with a dowell or small chunk o' wood. it should be slightly below the block deck

The cylinder is in the indent on the crankcase. It can't go any further. The washers are there though so I think it should be fine. I'll get some pics of my progress later.

Latest posts

Members online

Back