HPI Savage X 4.6 upgrade to 5.7

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWDrummer

Hi everyone,

I just upgraded my 4.6 to a 5.7 motor and now I'm sorry I did. While the new 5.7 is really cool looking, the pull start cord ripped out trying to start it. I converted to HPI electric starter I used on the 4.6 motor but it won't turn it over. Compression is insane. It will turn over with the plug out. There is no load on the crank shaft now, I removed all the parts (clutch bell, clutches and flywheel) from the shaft and it still won't easily turn with the plug in. HPI doesn't seem to have any support other than videos.

Thoughts?

Thank you all.

a new engine is TIGHT, try loosening the glow plug half a turn and try starting it, after it is running tighten the plug back up.....

Yes and if breaking in new motor, always best to preheat motor to as close to 200, easier starting and longer life on motor
This. I had never preheated a motor before until I was trying to remove the conrod to my trx3.3 in my rs4 2 and I couldn't get the sleeve out. Since the engine was new the pinch was super tight, but as soon as I got it to 180 degrees you could feel the pinch loosen by what seemed like half.

I will definitely be preheating my new novarossi in my Savage before break in (this weekend hopefully). I can imagine this initial break in (from being cold to warming up the first time) is the main issue to conrod failure and preheating will prevent this issue.

Thank you all for you input. Are you using a heat gun to heat it?
I used a $20 heat gun, just keep the tip of the gun moving in a small circle only hitting the head or block because you can easily heat up and possibly melt plastic, especially if the tip is too close or you keep it still for too long. I'd just point it straight down in the savage and circle the cooling head and heat the block from the right side of the truck. In less than a minute you can have a temp at the upper section of the block at a minimum 160 degrees F, or even hotter depending on how close you are.

That worked perfect! Got it started and ran the first tank of fuel through it. I have an old heat gun from my engineering days which did the trick. Thank you!

I had the same problem when I bought my 5.9 I had to pre heat it with a heat gun. The 5.9's also have 3 adjustment needles on the carb and you're not supposed to touch the mid range one, only high side and low side like the 4.6's

Latest posts

Members online

Back