HPI Savage won't start - HELP (Audio provided)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VDR_Reaper

My HPI Savage (I think the model number is 25) won't seem to start. There's plenty of oil in the tank, I've pumped the engine to make sure there's some oil inside, I've checked the fuel igniter to see if the element is still conductive (it glows), I've charged the rotostart a few times (after troubleshooting quite often) and I've tried clearing out any excess fuel by turning the motor without the fuel igniter screwed in (surprisingly, nothing spat out). I'm confused at to what could be wrong with the car. The audio is with the car in a condition where it can be run (minus air filter material on the air filter (the previous one disintegrated)).

is the fuel fresh? just because the glow plug glows does not mean it is in good order, do you have another glow plug to try? what are the needle settings at ?? is the fuel getting to the carburetor? did it sit for awhile? if so the fuel may be getting to the carburetor but there may be a clog of congealed oil in the carburetor...

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/threads/list-of-useful-nitro-engine-threads.13941/

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/threads/nitro-engine-factory-settings.11154/

Please read through those threads I linked , you may just find your trouble.....

My HPI Savage (I think the model number is 25) won't seem to start. There's plenty of oil in the tank, I've pumped the engine to make sure there's some oil inside, I've checked the fuel igniter to see if the element is still conductive (it glows), I've charged the rotostart a few times (after troubleshooting quite often) and I've tried clearing out any excess fuel by turning the motor without the fuel igniter screwed in (surprisingly, nothing spat out). I'm confused at to what could be wrong with the car. The audio is with the car in a condition where it can be run (minus air filter material on the air filter (the previous one disintegrated)).
have you primed it by holding your finger over the exhaust tip and cranking it for a few seconds?

try out whats been Said earlier. When you have New fuel in the tank, a New glow plug, you have primed the engine properly and your compression is good, it should start. If not, reset needles to factory setting. A nitro engine needs these things to start: compression, air/fuelmicture that is correct and the right timing. And a Good working glow plug. Remember that if you try to start the engine without the spounge on the airfilter, your tune Will be off. It is Most likely tuned with an correct and working airfilter which provides more resistant then without. Hope this help and you Will be getting it running again. ?

is the fuel fresh? just because the glow plug glows does not mean it is in good order, do you have another glow plug to try? what are the needle settings at ?? is the fuel getting to the carburetor? did it sit for awhile? if so the fuel may be getting to the carburetor but there may be a clog of congealed oil in the carburetor...

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/threads/list-of-useful-nitro-engine-threads.13941/

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/threads/nitro-engine-factory-settings.11154/

Please read through those threads I linked , you may just find your trouble.....
The fuel is fresh, yes. The glow plug is in good order, and yes I do have another glow plug that I tried - also in good working order - and to no avail. I'm not sure what you mean by needle settings. How can I check if fuel is getting to the carburettor? (the fuel lines are somewhat dark tinted). Yes it's been sat for a long while. How can I clean out the carburettor?

try out whats been Said earlier. When you have New fuel in the tank, a New glow plug, you have primed the engine properly and your compression is good, it should start. If not, reset needles to factory setting. A nitro engine needs these things to start: compression, air/fuelmicture that is correct and the right timing. And a Good working glow plug. Remember that if you try to start the engine without the spounge on the airfilter, your tune Will be off. It is Most likely tuned with an correct and working airfilter which provides more resistant then without. Hope this help and you Will be getting it running again. ?

Ah okay, so I'll reset the carburettor to the default configuration first before I try running it again, at least.

Do all the things suggested above and a New working airfilter to. It doesnt matter how welltuned your engine is, if you then try running it without a airfilter. The tune Will be way of and you Will risk destroing an engine. Just a suggestion of Course. ?

No, read my post. That is the absolutly last thing to do if nothing Else works out for you.
What do you mean by reset the needles to factory settings, then. I've tried everything else on your list already...

Do all the things suggested above and a New working airfilter to. It doesnt matter how welltuned your engine is, if you then try running it without a airfilter. The tune Will be way of and you Will risk destroing an engine. Just a suggestion of Course. ?
Ah okay, I guess I'll stop trying to start it without the air filter and go get that ASAP.

@VDR_Reaper >>>>>> there may be a clog of congealed oil in the carburetor... <<<<<<<

I have used a syringe or squeeze bottle filled with Denatured or Isopropyl alcohol with some fuel line attached connected to fuel inlet on carb and pushed the Alcohol back and forth in and out of carb to quickly clear a "congealed " blob of oil .

Theres a fuel line to the exhaust pipe. It should go to the fueltank. Take it off gently from the exhaust and blow gently in it. You should notice a slight pressure and you should blow until theres no airbubbles in the fuelline to carb. Then try and start. If you get a hydrolock you want to remove glowplug and turn over engine a Couple of revs. Then mount plug and start with a little bit of throttle.

Last edited:
@VDR_Reaper did you read all those threads about engines I posted above, if you are new to Nitro you NEED to read and understand those before proceeding further otherwise you may do more harm than good to your stuff.....

Latest posts

Members online

Back