HPI savage SS 861

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjvimont

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum, but was hoping someone might be able to help me out.

I used to own a traxxas slash some years back and a revo 3.3 even before that, and was thinking about getting back into the hobby. I'm currently eyeballing the HPI Savage x 4.6, but I'm really more interested in a kit than a RTR truck.

Unfortunately HPI doesn't offer any bruiser trucks as kits at the moment, and an email conversation with HPI didn't really give me a yes/no of whether to expect one in the near future. What I did find though is they offered the Savage SS 4.6 back in 2017 as a kit, #861, https://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/861

Obviously, its an older model, but that's not important to me as I'm really more interested in the building and customization of it than having the latest and greatest.

The only problem is finding one of these things for sale anywhere. I'm not really seeing anything online, and aside from calling every hobby store in a 100 mile radius of me I'm not quite sure what to do.

Let me know what you guys think, whether it be comparable truck kits, the SS I listed, or otherwise.

Price isn't really an issue, but I wouldn't really want to pay over the original asking price of $400+ shipping for the SS.

Thanks!
Joe

Also, I'm located in the chicago area.

Not that it directly helps you but I have seen the odd one come up on flebay UK now & then, perhaps have a look there, good luck!??

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything HPI right now. Some stuff is available, but who knows how long they will be making new parts this time around. Would be different if you already had the truck and wanted to do some things to it, but since you don't... you may want to look at a brand that is still stable to buy from.

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything HPI right now. Some stuff is available, but who knows how long they will be making new parts this time around. Would be different if you already had the truck and wanted to do some things to it, but since you don't... you may want to look at a brand that is still stable to buy from.
I agree....i have a few savages,love them,but i wouldnt get one unless you find a good deal used,there is still parts around,you can stock up if you really want one and go from there,but another brand thats active is the best way to go at the moment.

I've been calling around to a bunch of local hobby stores and that seems to be the consensus.

It seems the dream of a kit car is just about null in the nitro bracket right now. Especially in what I'm looking for and my price range. So, I'm thinking about a Kyosho Mad Crusher, but most of the stores told me it's not something they regularly stock parts for but could still order parts for. One store told me "well, it won't be as bad as finding HPI parts". Good news I guess?

The other option I was looking at which is a completely different animal would be the Losi 8ight. My brother has a brushless one similar to that and I thought it might be cool to be able to mess around on a track some day. I know Losi would be MUCH easier to find parts, and much easier to customize. Also, I saw they have a kit car version of the losi 8ight, but that's a bit out of my price range for jumping back into this hobby.

Any other thoughts?

Tekno still makes nitro kits. I'm sure other "racing" companies may still make them as well, like kyosho, mugen sekei... I know Tekno makes some tough electric kits, so would assume their nitro versions would be equally so.

None are 2 speed MT's though. Just racing oriented buggies, onroad and truggies.

However, if budget is a concern... none of which are likely candidates for you. :(

You can very well buy a savage but I wouldn’t recommend bashing it. Take it easy and have fun with it. But like the other guys said too, look for something else if you want to bash

Although......i see a lot more parts online now??
One of the hobby stores said the same thing! "don't bother with HPI. Let me look up my shipping log... oh hey it says I can get you one by next week, and most of their parts are in stock. that's weird." but he was adamant not to trust them just yet. Think I'm going to give the Kyosho a shot, then if the new HPI owners do their do diligence maybe one day I will pick up a savage. Or maybe even a Savage kit if they offer another!

One of the hobby stores said the same thing! "don't bother with HPI. Let me look up my shipping log... oh hey it says I can get you one by next week, and most of their parts are in stock. that's weird." but he was adamant not to trust them just yet. Think I'm going to give the Kyosho a shot, then if the new HPI owners do their do diligence maybe one day I will pick up a savage. Or maybe even a Savage kit if they offer another!
Yeah, I can understand being a bit gunshy about HPI. I let my savage flux hp sit on the shelf even though I have a drawer full of parts for it... Just seems every time I run it, I break something on it. Been airing out my outcast and ERBEv2 too much I guess...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back