HPI Savage Octane XL not revving and speeding up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mindauxx

Hello,

I am new to this forum, but experienced in RC world. Both planes and cars. I have over 80 RC cars, mostly Tamiyas, I build kits and restore vintage cars. I always wanted a gasser to try and I have won on German ebay used HPI Savage Octane.
I am having a problem, that the model won't rev up and speed up, even if you pin full throttle. It gets some pace slowly, but with huge effort... a Tamiya Grasshopper with 540 silver can would leave it in dust. Behaves like oooverly rich engine. See the videos below.
Please help me, what could be the problem?
Seller has stated, that model was run through 10l (2.5gal) of gas. Model is in quite good condition visually. Model starts easily, will idle and will not stall. Engine will struggle even with wheels off the ground. I have reset the HS and LS needles to factory setting (updated manual, not original). I have read the manual and understand how it works. Itried rotating both needles to both sides, at first by little increments then by huge 1/4 or 1/2 turn. Did not help. I have checked the ignition system as per manual. Spark plug gap is 0.5mm, it fires spark normally, at the right timing. CDI seems working (as per manual, where you check your ignition system). I have checked the tranny, brakes and throttle linkage. No binding, seems adjusted well. I have taken the cylinder head off, piston and liner looks ok, no scratches. I am using original NiMH 5cell batts, Husqvarna 2-stroke oil, mixed 1:25 ratio.
Could it be compression issue? Worn ring? I have tried pulling starter with palm over the head cylinder. I can feel it popping the skin, but will not blow off my hand.
Or something with the carb settings? I have ordered a new spark plug, but I don't think it would help.
Please help, thank you so much!

Seems like you may have a restrictive gas flow.
Pull y our carb apart, clean and blow with high pressure air from a compressor 100psi.

You can check The slipper clutch adjusment, maybe there's the problem, because I hear the acceleration it's ok, but if the problem pesists and the slipper clutch adjusment it's ok , maybe you have to consider to change de carburator...

Good advice from HPI Fan also when adjusting your needles adjust in 1/24ths very small adjustments this carb is very sensitive mine runs decent but not perfect also check your sparkplug they will file out with stock settings and read many post on this site I have read just about all of them alot of great info don't give up or peed off octane can be aggravating but awsome when you get it running good good luck!!!!!

Even smaller turns I had mine out today and was fine tuning just a lil more and it only take a hair of a turn to make a difference hope you get it figured out my octane is my favorite out of all my rc's

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back