HPI SAVAGE 25 - cannot start, fuel does not suck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doviis

Hello,
First of all - I have basicly no experience in this. I was using HPI Savage 25 like 10 or more years ago and when I left it in my garage. This year I decided to make it work and create some smiles for neighbourhood children.

I have checked the engine - there is no rust. The vehicle was left in normal conditions, so there is no effect from environment on the car. So, I filled up the tank, inserted roto start (as I remember, rotostart should move fuel from tank to curb) and nothing happens. All pipes look clean. I don't know about plug if it's still working or not. Don't know how to check that but as I understand, it doesn't effect the fuel intake from tank to engine.

Another thing - Fuel. It was placed in dark place but it was bought more than 10 years ago. I don't remember what colour it was originally (maybe pink), but now it looks quite brown. As I understand, it will be better to replace this fuel to new one?

Any opinions how to solve that? What to check? If needed I can upload photos but I believe that you are proffesionals here and understand how these RC models work without seeing how it looks :) Please let me know what you think about that problem. It would be great if I can make it work as soon as possible since many children are asking me when they will be able to try it :)

Last edited:
First off get new fuel, secondly the fuels we use have oil in it for lube for the engine, the fuel evaporates and leaves congealed oil inside the lines and carburetor and it causes blockages so best thing is remove the lines and use a syringe or something to squirt denatured alcohol through them to clean or replace the lines and disassemble the carburetor and mechanically clean the needles and passages....

be careful letting people "try" running a nitro vehicle, these things are not toys and can actually really hurt people in the wrong hands....

I can't recall if the savage has a stone filter in the tank or not, but it could be all bunged up with old oil too clogging it at the tank. Fuel line is cheap, I'd start by replacing that and clean the carb like @Jam Racing 1 said as well. You may want to rinse the tank out with fresh fuel and try pushing some into the line to force it through the stone filter backwards. Not sure what you can use for that other than a syringe.

Even with a roto, don't you have to plug the pipe to prime it?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back