HPI Hellfire issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judicator

I got a hellfire off a buddy. The only issue is that i fight with it to get it running. If i do get it going she doesnt stay running for to long. I also noticed alot of fuel/oil mix behind the motor. I am wondering if I have a missing O-ring or something and I am losing engine compression.. Any idea would be great before I buy a new piston and sleeve. Thanks

Where exactly is the oil? Is it near the exhaust gasket or down by the pull start?
Ive found the easiest way to get my hellfire running is to put a few drops of fuel in through the glow plug and then start it. It was very hard starting (turning over) when I first got it. Its getting much easier as its breaking in though. I cant wait for the warmer weather to see how this thing will run with a good tune.

also forgot to mention to preheat the engine helps with startup and prolly wont cut out as fast on you

The oil is on the chassy behind the motor behind the backplate /gasket so its comming from one of those 2 and the gasket is fairly new

I would take the pull start off and check the backplate and make sure its tight and nothing is cracked. You might want to seal it while you have the engine out.
How rich are you running it?

I believe it is set to what my buddies is 2 1/2 turns out... His fires up no prob and runs all day with no oil/fuel on the chassy. There is no Oring back there that i'm missing right? if not how would i go about sealing this up?
http://www.putfile.com/teksha/images/169134 some pics fore a better idea

Last edited by a moderator:
The only o ring is on the backplate of the motor, not the pull start. You would have to take the pull start off and take the back plate off. Put a thin layer of copper engine sealant, available at pepboys or AID,, around the backplate and reinstall it.
Can you take a picture of the engine where the oil is?
Can you see any particular spot thats wet, showing where it might be coming from?
You might want to check the head screws as well. Did your buddy keep up on the engine maintainence? Did he ever have a leak that you know of?

no he said it ran fine for him.. so ya. that link is the best pics i have at the moment but i'll reinspect the motor

Easiest way to see where someting is leaking from is to clean the car then run it to see where it starts from. Looking at the pics, in the second one it looks like there is a tear in the silicon exhaust gasket at the back of the engine. I could be wrong but that would definetly cause some probs and and dirty up your ride.

Edit: Upon a second look, it seems the tear I saw was actualy the spring. Sorry. I would clean her up, pull the backplate, seal it up and try again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry didnt see the picture link before. It looks like it might just be leaking out of the exhaust. Try leaning the HSN a little and see if its any better. What do you have the needles set at now?

fromt he placement of the oil looks like ur backplate is loose to me, also check to make sure ur block isnt cracked? does the head have a tone of gashes in it could be why ur buddy sold it

Latest posts

Members online

Back