HPI Dirt Claws tires and HPI Warlock wheels (black)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X

Conspiracy of One
HPISF Staff
HPISF Supporter
I was fortunite enough to be given the opportunity by HPISF to review the HPI Dirt Claws tires and HPI Warlock wheels (black).

Here is what was recieved:
P5120209.JPG

Out of the packaging:
P5120210.JPG

And mounted:
P5120211.JPG

First impressions:
The combinations looks like it was ment to be together, at the very least they satisfy the looks requirement. The rims are the same dimensions as the stock X SS rims at 83x56mm and the tires are close in size at 145x84mm (compared to 150x83mm for Dirt Bonz). The side walls have some designs on them which seem to helps the strength of them. The treads of the tires are fairly aggressive but leave enough space between so they don't fill up with dirt. According to HPI's website the tires have what is called B compound, which is supposed to be a stickier type of rubber. The Warlock wheels I can say take a beating as I have been running the chrome version that came stock with my truck. I do like the black version better though as they do not have to be shined nor do they get scraped and flake easily since they do not have a chrome coating.

Shot of tires/wheels on my savage:
P5270213.JPG

P5270214.JPG

First time out:
The conditions were 70 degrees, lots of wind and the ground still a bit wet from rain the previous day. I took several high speed passes watching the flex of the wheels and noticed that they did not balloon out very much at high RPM. On the other hand in turns the tires moved inward towards the TVPs instead of staying centered above the wheels. This is something that most likely can be solved by getting better foam inserts. The truck was driven both on grass/dirt and pavement and the grip was great on both. No issue hooking up for wheelies at all! I also found another small side effect of having grippier tires, I had to tone down my brakes some. Since the grip was better, the truck was having an easier time digging in when I hit the brakes. The savage was driven for a couple hours at high speed and low and over many jumps. In the end the only issue I had was that one of the tires was coming off partially from the rim, just glued it back on.

When different conditions are tried this will be updated (ie: mud, rain, gravel).

Now for the ratings:

Warlock wheels (black)
Quality: 9/10 Some minor defects can be seen along edges of the rims.
Price: 10/10 At $11.00 for a set of two you can't complain much.
Installation: 10/10
Performance 10/10 great all around wheel.

Dirt Claws tires
Quality: 9/10 Minor distortions in the rubber most likely due to being in the package.
Price: 9/10 $30.00 for a set of two is starting to be a little much.
Installation: 10/10
Performance: 10/10 I really like these tires, they do everthing well.

I would like to thank the HPISF staff for giving me the opportunity to review these parts for the site

X

I run the same tires/rims on my buku savage. They are VERY sticky tire .. And I have over 2 gallons on the at the moment .. No wear that I can tell .. I drive on mostly dirt tho.. No problems at all .

Good thing about the black hpi rims... They don't show rock chips and stuff like they would if you just painted them .. I love the dirtclaws !!

dirtclaw.jpg

good job on thr review those rims and tires look bad i might have to get a set of them,rep for u

Great job X and great added info Jester.

These tires look alot like the Losi Zombie-Maxx tires which are great as well, good all arond traction.

I run the same tires/rims on my buku savage. They are VERY sticky tire .. And I have over 2 gallons on the at the moment .. No wear that I can tell .. I drive on mostly dirt tho.. No problems at all .

Good thing about the black hpi rims... They don't show rock chips and stuff like they would if you just painted them .. I love the dirtclaws !!

Thats good to know that they will last. Thanks for the add in.

Nice review! I love the looks of the Dirt Claws, it's great to hear they perform as well as they look.

But $30/pair? Is that "retail" price that nobody pays or is someone actually selling them for that much? I did a little checking and found them ranging from $23 to $27 for a pair. Just an FYI to anyone considering these tires.

Nice review! I love the looks of the Dirt Claws, it's great to hear they perform as well as they look.

But $30/pair? Is that "retail" price that nobody pays or is someone actually selling them for that much? I did a little checking and found them ranging from $23 to $27 for a pair. Just an FYI to anyone considering these tires.

I know you sell them for less Bruce. :resp: I was just using the listed price on HPI's site.

Thanks for the review as I have been having a hard time deciding on what new wheels to run on my everyday tire-chrome or black.
I'll run the blacks now for bashing and the chrome ones for my paddles tires.
Nice review!
Tried to rep you some more but I need to spread around before I can again...

Dave

Thanks for the review as I have been having a hard time deciding on what new wheels to run on my everyday tire-chrome or black.
I'll run the blacks now for bashing and the chrome ones for my paddles tires.
Nice review!
Tried to rep you some more but I need to spread around before I can again...

Dave

The black wheels just take much more abuse without losing cosmetic quality. I'll try to do something worthy so you can rep me later.

Oh you are plenty worthy I just need to spread around before I can rep you again thats all.
I'll gift ya instead for now.

Dave

Great review X. Are those rims 17mm hubs or 14mm hubs? It's gonna be awhile before I need some new rims/tires. I gotta go through the two sets I already have first. Got some rep comin your way too.

Great review X. Are those rims 17mm hubs or 14mm hubs? It's gonna be awhile before I need some new rims/tires. I gotta go through the two sets I already have first. Got some rep comin your way too.

They are 17mm hubs. Give them a shot, you'll like them. Thanks for the rep!

They are 17mm hubs. Give them a shot, you'll like them. Thanks for the rep!

Thanks. No prob on the rep, it was well deserved. I might give'm a shot once I wear out the other sets I got now. One reason being is I don't have any money to buy the rims/tires along with the money needed to convert over to 17mm hubs. I'm runnin 23mm hubs now with the GST 7.7 rims/tires.

I ran big tires for a while, HPI goliath with blast wheels. They are fun, but I really the way my truck moves with smaller wheels.

great review x!! and nice clear pics as well!!! rep given!!

I ran big tires for a while, HPI goliath with blast wheels. They are fun, but I really the way my truck moves with smaller wheels.

Even with the bigger GST rims/tires, my truck still gets up moves pretty quick. Plus, it's also long and heavy.

Good job X maybe duck tape to help with the roll issue?

You brought my review back from the dead Mega. :resp: I have thought about using duct tape as the more I run these tires the more flex I see in the tires. Is there a upgraded set of foams that anyone would recommend?

Somebody makes a firm molded MT tire foam.... PL?

Latest posts

Members online

Back