Hpi 5.9 X-dyno results

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrogathon

Never 2 Much Power
Here are the specs on the HPI K5.9.

104_2330.jpg

Sure is, Id love to see what Adam from AB mods could do to it. If he could find some more RPM's that would awesome.

I'm impressed by this engine's mid range torque. Too bad they tested it with the crappy HPI polished pipe. A better tuned pipe should significantly decrease the torque drop off at high RPM.

XRC. I was reading that thinking this would be a good canadate for the Buku pipe. Put some of that torque into the upper rpm range. I think the XL needs some taller gearing as well.

its a new tuned pipe, Its a dual chamber unlike the single chamber one everyone is against. The xl deffinatly could handle some higher gearing, its got all the numbers so why not.
Ive got the full readup on the XL if anyone is interested, let me know.

Ok, I am really confused now. Is HPI fudging their HP numbers on the website? I am choking on what I am seeing in that pic above.
A K5.9 only pushes 1.79 peak hp? I can't find an HP rating on the HPI website for the K5.9, but the S25 that I have is claimed to 2.5 hp.
What is up with this?
I hope this doesn't sound too stupid....
Eddie

The reason you are confused is because most manufactures use a different form of measuring Hp, its all a bunch of bull to me and I would never buy a motor that they claim makes that much hp, This is an X-dyno, and should be made the new standard for measuring Hp, If you want to see the real specs on motors there is a thread with almost all the true Hp readings on motors.

have a look here:
https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1419

In addition to what scrog stated, the torque curve (not peak torque) is what you should be looking at. HP is a fairly useless measurement.

but Hp can have a big role in performance to, if its not smooth, its gonna effect your driving for example if it peaks to early its not gonna do you any good, and its to late, well you wont ever get to use it, the same thing goes with Tq, and if its not a smooth linear line, then youll be hurting on the track, I noticed Adam from AB mods does a great job at smoothing these lines out, and also increases all the numbers overall, Ive seen the dyno results on one of his .21's and its comparable to alot of .28's and actually has a smoother powerban, which in turn helps to get you around the track.

In terms of engine performance, the torque curve tells all, not the HP curve. HP may be a fairly good comparison tool, but it is NOT useful in terms of evaluating acceleration throughout the RPM range. In this application, torque is essentially the rotational force applied to the drivetrain, and is directly proportional to the truck's acceleration. As such, it is the most useful measurement we can obtain.

BTW, engine dynos do not measure HP, it is a calculated value based on the product of engine RPM and torque.

I don't own a dyno so I did not know that, basicly I need to do some reading up on hp and tq for these little revvers.

isnt hp just a calculated number?
from Diesel Place by user named bobo:
hp(imperial mechanical) X 5252)/ RPM(revolutions per minute)= lbf*ft (foot-pounds of torque)

Example

A truck puts out 500HP at 2500 RPM

500 X 5252 = 2,626,000

2,626,000/2500= 1050.4 foot-pounds of torque

On the flip side...say you only have a tq reading to go from and you want to calculate HP...

hp(imperial mechanical)= (lbf*ft (foot-pounds of torque) * RPM(revolutions per minute)) / 5252

Lets take the above example I used to calculate the torque and calculate the HP. We should come up with 500HP.

1050.4 * 2500 = 2,626,000

2,626,000 / 5252 = 500 HP

There you have it.

Dave is already doing dyno tests with the Buku and the 5.9 with John Schultz's help. John has already run the Buku with the 5.9 on his truck. The cone is in the final tweaking stages. John did love the Buku on the small block Savage and dominated at the WF in the small block class.

I wont get into this as thats not my style... but trust me HP does matter as well as TQ :)

well i back up adam 100% aas he just modded my picco p3 28 about a week ago and almost half way through break in and is already a beast.!!

hey adam that link with all the dyno HP test is missing the picco p3 28.. I'm just curious wat the Hp on my picco is with and without the modd.

The pull start without mod is around 1.6-1.7HP... after stage 2 its in the 2.1-2.15HP range on MY X-dyno. My dyno has been known to read low for whatever reason compared to others that have the X-Dyno....

Little known fact here.. But the pull start P3s and the FTTs have different timing and STOCK the FTTs make more power then the pull start versions. Around 1.8hp for a stock FTT again on MY X-Dyno and about 2HP when XRC tested it.... After modified there very close to the same. Advantage will go SLIGHTLY to the FTT as it has a turbo head.

alright man greatly appreciate it.... LRP doesn not stand a chance in front of my AB picco..!!!!!!! hAAAAAAAAAA

alright man greatly appreciate it.... LRP doesn not stand a chance in front of my AB picco..!!!!!!! hAAAAAAAAAA

Yeah but if you can't tune or drive for poop, then all that power don't mean poop

Adam, you wouldnt happen to have some dyno results on the LRP would you? Id love to see what you could do with it, from what I have been reading the n/ps makes 1.87hp and 70oz in tq on the xdyno, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure you can bring that engine into the 2 hp range.

don't have any sheets to pull up right now. But I'm SURE I can get it over 2HP if its 1.87 stock on XRCs dyno. There dyno for whatever reason tends to read a little higher then mine....

Yeah but if you can't tune or drive for poop, then all that power don't mean poop

This is very true. But if you can then that means a lot of poop :) Then when you pass everyone up you get to do this.. :FarleyParty: <-- And that is some rockin poop

LOL you guys must have gotten into that poop stuff! I would like to see the dyno results also

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back