HPI #308/ #160565 Battery Level Indicator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazzman

Ok so here is the question. HPI used to make a battery voltage indicator that fitted into the version 2 Savage X radio box, this was p/n #308. This was discontinued years ago and today is like rockin horse poop to get hold of, well I see that HPI have it relisted this item on their site now as #160565. I have searched the web and can't find anyone listing this part, only on HPIs site. This item is only listed for the GT6 & the GTXL6 so must be a re-release.

1709241166212.png
1709240986300.png

I think I have one. Maybe it even works but I put it away from my savage. Weight reduction🤣 just kidding, the battery compartment is hard to fit anyway so why need for another cable.

Edit: would it work with this battery though? I might put it back on

No the HPI unit will only work with a Ni-MH battery or with standard AA type. It will give false reading when hocked up a LiPo.
Like my old mate guinnessdublin said, they are way over priced and the JR Perkins units fits straight in the hole on the radio box and they cost £10.
Perkins make 2 models, 1 for Ni-CD/Ni-MH & 1 for LiPo. They have dip switches on board to set the correct voltage.
The main difference between the HPI & the Perkins units is. The HPI unit lights up all leds when fully charged and these drop off as the charge does, also the HPI unit uses an inline setup. Meaning that you just add each end of the cables to one of your servos so as the servo lead plugs into the level indicator and the other end plugs into the receiver. These units have therefore 2 wires.
The Perkins unit only has 1 lead and just plugs into a spare port on your receiver, if you use all channels on your receiver already just use a 'Y' Lead. Also this unit only lights 1 led at a time.

JR Perkins Battery Level Indicator fitted into a Savage Radio Box.
1709385422866.jpeg

This is really an obsolete idea now that practically every mid-level radio has telemetry. Leave it to HPI to re-release a product in 2023 that doesnt even work with or make sense with the current technology.

Latest posts

Members online

Back