How to mount tires with GOOP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jam Racing 1

HPISF Supporter
I have been asked this a few times so I thought was a good topic for a thread

Ok I been doing this about 10 years now I use the GOOP Brand Plumbers goop available at most hardware stores, and my tires stay till I decide I want to remove them from the wheels, Yes Ladies and Gents you can reuse the wheels when the tires wear out.....
WARNING!!!!! they will not hold on the wheel if ya pin the throttle and hold it off the ground or upsidedown, I aint found nuthin that will hold when this is done..... ya they look cool as a pizza but it will fail just like anything else will,
No they aint beadlocks or nuthin fancy, it works on nitro and electric rigs just as well if done right, I have also mounted foam tires on my pan car with this method the goop actually helps the tires not to chunk (if ya have raced solid axle cars you know what chunking is)....
First thing is to lightly sand the mounting bead of the wheel with some 150 grit paper it gives the goop something to bite into, then clean the wheel and the tire beads really good with a clean cloth soaked in denatured alcohol, I use it caz it dries in seconds and is cheap at the hardware store....

before ya start put the tube in the sun awhile to warm up the goop
I put the tire and insert on the wheel. push it off the mounting bead to the inside do one side at a time on all 4 wheels, then cut the application tube off about 1/4 inch from the tip at an angle, puncture the tube with the cap and screw on the application tube get a good bead into the bead area and carefully seat the tire bead on the groove, I usually do one side and let it setup overnite, then do the same on the other side the next day.... if ya use rubber bands make sure they aint so tight the goop gets pushed out of the groove and after all that I like to let em dry for a few days so the goop sets good then put em on and go have fun..... if ya do it right they should stay on without any problem......

GOOP is also good for many other RC uses, Repair a body like new and strengthen weak areas so they don't crack, smear some goop on the area and it will last a long time....

I found the plumbers blend the most useful I have tried shoo goo and ca glues, this is by far easier and just as strong......

I have seen this mentioned before, but have never tried it. Thanks for the write up Jam. Any chance you could take a few pictures to add to this thread?

Ya X I will get some detailed pix of the next ones I do.... I have a set of mulchers I ran on 14mm rpm wheels for about 8 years and I just removed them to mount on a set of rpm 17mm hex wheels......

I just did this. Thanks for the tips Jam. You're a fountain of knowledge. I let it set up and checked the bead for any weak spots and I found some areas that weren't bonded well. Looked like I should have applied a slight more bit of Goop. I just peeled the bead back a little and squirted more into it. Looks ok now.

Right on Bud, glad to help out, I lay a thick bead in and if it spooges out when is still a lil wet ya can peel it away and still get a good bond. took me a few tries , but now goop is only thing i use to mount tires :woot:

they've stayed on for a good couple of runs now. I'm impressed!:D in my savage problems vid, you can see that the tires don't balloon. idk if its the low profile or my belting job

Last edited:
This is the goop I use to mount my tires.....

32101531.jpg

Soooooo..same method(s) for tire removal as using CA? I have done baking, boiling, and acetone for removal. Any of these work better than the other?

This is a set of ProLine Mulcher Tires that I did have on 14mm hex wheels, we removed them and put them on a set of RPM 17mm hex wheels, they came off with no trouble and mounted up just like a dream, I also have several more sets of tires I have done this with and so far is no problem with it..... I just don't have any pix of them....

These I have on my XTM MMT and they been on it at least 3 years and still holding strong the wheels are 3/4 offset 17mm made by Redcat Racing and the tires are Losi Super Bolt on's in the 420 or 3.8 size...

anyway thats how I been doin my tires for years, try at your own risk, but I am never using ca glue again.....

Nope there is no boiling or anything to remove the goop, just good old fashioned tenacity and perserverance . actually once ya get em coming off they remove pretty easily......

Latest posts

Members online

Back