How to make your suspension more durable; bump stops

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammer

Hi all,
Just want to share some learning experience with you how to make a Savage XS a little more durable.
I recently discovered that when I make high jumps the skid plates hit the ground. With my Savage X this is not happening, the suspension keeps it a couple of mm above the ground at all times. A video of HPI.tv where they show how to make bump stops for a bullet ST 3.0 inspired me for a solution. Now the bump stops which they make in the bullet video were 5 mm. I tried that first but that is not enough. You have to make them 7mm to do the job. Just follow the instructions in the HPI.tv video mentioned and you are good to go. I used tranparent tube for it and it even looks great. Problem solved with a cheap suspension upgrade.

I hope this is useful to you.

Can you post pictures of your mod? Link to the video?

Your not running into issues with the tube splitting? Silicone tubing doesn't deal with being squashed very well. It tends to split. I used to run that on my jato to absorb some of the impact before the shocks/chassis bottom out. I ended up using stacked silicone o-rings instead. They seemed to split less, but still added cushion.

Did your xs shocks not come with bump stops? Both my orange aluminum shocks and the stock black plastic ones have rubber dome type bump stops that I think would work better than some nitro hose.

Are bump stops helpful when bashing? I'm new to the hobby and I'm trying to learn all the tips and tricks. I currently have a savage xs and a Arrma nero.

Yeah, adds some cushion if you bottom out hard to either keep the chassis from hitting the ground so hard or from the shocks bottoming out so hard and snapping off a shock end.

Very interesting. I'm going to have to try it then. I'll look around the house and see if I find line tubing. Thanks I'm going to try and cut 7mm like another person mentioned.

here's a pic of the bump stops I made from some pink fuel tube

I don't remember the exact length, think they're about 10-12mm

After a few bashing sessions I *can* still bottom out though so I'll need some longer ones soonish.

some clip on spacers would be handy if anyone knows of anything?

IMG_3227 Large.jpeg

Been doing this for some time now, but with better tubing. Go & get some automotive fuel/vacuum tubing from an auto parts store. Advantages -- Multiple size I.D. tubing to choose from, more tubing length for less $$, stiffer and won't compress compared to nitro fuel tubing, can be used inside & outside the shock, & i'm sure there are a few more that I can't think of @ the moment. I've been usin the same box/roll of tubing for about 5+ builds with multiple shock rebuilds and/or changes.

I just this second got some much thicker stuff through the door!

TBH this might even be a bit too stiff - will experiment a bit - thanks for the tips!
IMG_3285 Small.jpeg

Latest posts

Members online

Back