How to install a reverse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faisalbasha

Mr Nonsensical
i want to install a reverse module but everytime i ask some1 about it, it turns out i need to install more stuff. i started with the reverse module, then some1 said if you have 2 channel radio i need a mixer and then a third servo..... THEN WHAT... can some1 be kind enough to explai the whole thing because i don't know wht to do anymore. i have no idea what i need to do to install a reverse.

You will need a extra module to fit inside the gearbox.
also a third servo.
You need a third channel on the sender (handset) and receiver (car).
The third chanel is not standard on the savy's.
I know, the sav X and the 3.5 does"nt have this standard.

But, the third servo, i'snt it in the package of the reverse module ?

For some reason I can't link to it, but take a look on the HPI website http://www.hpiracing.com/index2.htm.Go under the "instructions" heading on the left hand side of the screen. Then go under "Option parts instruction sheets (nitro)", then "#87032 reverse module".

Please explain your post a little more. kinda confusing.:dunno:

I believe he means that if your not careful you can damage your tranny with the reverse. You need to fully stop in between shifting from forward to reverse otherwise you can strip gears. Alot of people because of this believe it not worth it to install the reverse.

The only gears that will get damaged are the ones inside the reverse module. It has already happened to a buddy of mine when he was running his truck one day. Got it stuck in a bush at WOT and tried switching it into reverse. Needless to say, he tore the reverse module all to hell. Oh well, live and learn.

I HIGHLY recommend going with a 3 channel controller rather then the mixer. The problem with the mixer is that it works with the break. You have to hold the break on for 3 seconds for it to shift into reverse. If you are going forward and apply the break to stop the truck but it takes longer then 3 seconds to stop the mixer will attempt to shift into reverse breaking the gears. The idea of the mixer is great but it needs to have some sort of fail safe on it or you'll be going through reverse gears like crazy. Just my 2 cents worth hope it helps.
Also the reverse module is sold with either the module and the mixer or just the module, the 3rd servo you need to buy separately.

-
Good point and I agree with it, Keithv.

I have the three channel and I still busted a gear in the reverse modual.
If I had to contend with a mixer also, I would of been really annoyed with the truck altogether.

Of course, these are the things that we are forced to discover after we open the box...
I personally feel that there's no reason that HPI can't put a three channel TX in every Savage
version instead of playing the "marble under the cup" game with their numerous Savage versions.

Out of all the Savage versions, There's not one that's fully loaded with everything you need to
be happy and settled

===========================TAZ HATE MIXER!================================

-

Last edited by a moderator:
I was considering the reverse module but when I though about it wouldn't use it that much. I have also been told how easy it is to break. What would be useful is a righting module, one that would flip the truck back onto it's wheels.

I have to admit,.. I do like the reverse modual do to the fact that there's many instances that occure where a reverse mod is a convenience.

You just have to respect the limitation of having to come to a complete stop before shifting. I might be a little more lazy about wanting to go run down the street to flip the truck around because it got stuck at a tight turn.

Without the modual,... Your truck is lighter and there's less gear friction and resistance in the drivetrain. This has to help in the area of proformance.

And of course... You don't have the possibillity of the tranny needing a repair because the reverse modual going out.

There's definately pros and cons for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you get an E maxx tranny, you'll have reverse.
Just like the one I built.

Latest posts

Members online

Back