How To: Header tank install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crzy-svg-usr

Sir-Smokes-Alot
In this thread I will explain what a header tank is why its important and how it works.

Lets start by how it works. Inside the tank there is a fuel line with a weight on the end connected to the nipple that goes to the carb.

Picture-286.jpg

Now with this installed into the header tank it will always be at the bottom of it. With it always being at the bottom and header tank always full you will never experience the half lean problem. Also it will fall to the top when upside down which will be at the bottom so you can idle upside down for up to 5 minutes, or until your engine stalls from loading up.

What you will need:
1. Header tank and mount
2. Lots of fuel tubing
3. Some thin aluminum or any type of sheet metal
4. Misc. hardware to screw it all together
5. 1/8 in. drill bit to drill holes for shock bolts
6. Dremel or other cutting/sanding tool

First off we will need a mount to hold the tank on. To do this I used some thin cold rolled aluminum and drilled it to fit onto the rear tower. I then ground down the inside so it doesn’t hit the shocks during their movement.

Picture-290.jpg

Now that it is all bolted up make sure the center nipple (the one for the carb) is at carb level or else it might cause flooding of your engine. Time to run fuel lines, the middle nipple which is attached tot he clunk will be used for the carb while the top nipple will be for the main tank.

Picture-284.jpg

And to fill it you will need to disconnect both lines on the header tank, but be careful since the line from the main tank will let out your whole tank of fuel if you don’t hold it up.

Picture-287.jpg

Then attach the line from the main tank to the center nipple and the lien to the carb to the top nipple.

Picture-288.jpg

Now that all the lines are hooked up make sure your main tank is full (or over half) and take the pressure line off the pipe, keep it attached to the tank, now you will need to blow into it while being careful not to spit into your tank. You will need to keep blowing until the header tank is full and right about to go into the carb line. Right before it does stop blowing. You will need to switch the lines back to how they were.

Picture-284.jpg

Then blow some more into the pressure line to prime the carb. Once this is done you are ready to go.

this is mainly used tto eliminate the half tank lean problem of the early style tanks but is also nice for racing and bashing due to the fact of more fuel, does not lean out when the main tank is getting near empty, and when the truck is upside down it will idle for a very long time as long as u blip the throttle to keep the engine running it wont starve of fuel

Great Job Buddy. Youve done a Great job. I will post a fiw picts of mine here just so you can see other ways of doing this.

I use a Maunual fuel pump to fill this truck as it make's it easier because you also have to fill the Header tank. I have also added a extra nipple out of the top of the stock fuel tank and added a hose with a plug in the end which alows for easy refueling whale the truck is running since I have a pump on my 1Gal Fuel bottle this means I don't have to take the pump off to fill a squese bottle, This you can see in the last pict. Also for the first fueling for the day I have added a T-filter #KSJ419 also added a Fuel clamp #KSJ975B (both made by K&S) which is used to clamp off the fuel line leading to carb so when I pump fuel in its not being forced into the carb via pump. Which you can see both of these in the first pict near the carb.

For some reason you have to click the first pict.
2ndgearin3speedproblem009.jpg

2ndgearin3speedproblem007.jpg

2ndgearin3speedproblem004.jpg

Sorry for the Dirty truck I had just gotten done at the graval pit when these were tanken!

Also, my tank and mount number is TTRPV0311 (Thunder Tiger) The Plugs I used are # GPMQ4166 (Great Planes) and the Manual Fuel pump I uses is # SLI2012
(Slimline)

Last edited by a moderator:
can you tell me how fitting a header tank stops the engine going lean at half a tank,i fly helis with header tanks and they stop air being sucked up when doing 3d??????

on old tansk the fuel outlet was towards the front of the truck so when accelerating there was a half tank lean cuz fuel went to the back of the tank where the fuel outlet wasnt at. the new tanks don't have this problem the outlet is in the back of the tank

mine it as the back thats wot i cauld not get my head around,i have the 4.6 and it seems to do the half lean thing you were talking about is this common on the new savage x 4.6 models????

simon

don't own one, couldnt tell you. throw one of ur heli tanks on anyway always good to have more fuel and not have to run to get ur tuck when its upside down, also might helpw ith ur half tank lean

Yes its common between all savages. The header tank helps because the stock tank is a feeder tank which the pressure from the exhaust keeps the header tank compleatly full as long as there is fuel in the stock tank which inturn keeps consistant fuel to the carb. Exactly the same way it works with the Heli's.

is it hard to fill up?? i am thinking of doing it...

also where can i get the bracket to fit my xss i looked everywhere, i can find the tank but nothing to mount it!

thanks

Questions????

A couple of quesions I have about the header tank.

I want to run the header tank with theNew Era fuel tank. Is that ok to do?

Whats the easiest way to fill the header tank?

When you are done for the day do you just let both tanks run dry ?

Where would I install a fuel filter?

nice thread man answered some questions i have about the tank lying around my tool box. i just have one question though i read the forum a couple times but i don't understand what happens with the middle nipple on the header tank? do you just seal it up? or do you use it for something.

let me run over this one more time just for clarification, it goes from header tank main nipple goes to carb top nipple goes to main feed from main tank and main tank still get pressure from the exhaust but again where does the middle nipple on the mid tank go?

what if you used a T and ran exhaust and when main inlet to exhaust and then split to header tank mid nipple and pressure side of main tank?

Latest posts

Members online

Back