How to convert Savage XL to electric?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Zero

Sorry to bring this old chestnut up again, I did search it but a lot of the posts are old and about different Savage models.

I’ve got an XL rolling chassis which I want to convert but I’m a bit confused about changing the TVPs - is it because they can’t be modded due to the metal not being where it’s needed for mountings or do ppl just prefer not to modify them themselves?

Also, I don’t seem to be able to find an all in one kit so is there an up to date shopping list available somewhere? I’m in the UK but I could probably find available substitutes from their specs.

Thanks for your help.

Hi, I have three different converted Savages. A Savage 21, an Octane and one with purple XL TVPs.
I had to drill the holes for the battery trays. I made my own motor mount adadpters but this is not easy (better look for some already designed type available for your rig).
The remaining modifications are easy.
I attach some pictures of the purple XL type. which is the most similar to yours.
The servo close to the motor is for steering the back wheels. I also use a longer slipper shaft (from 5SC) to be able to fit a twin slipper clutch. and 43t spur. These are additional mods that I did but are not required.

Attachments

• IMG_20210925_174544.jpg
    IMG_20210925_174544.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20210925_174538.jpg
    IMG_20210925_174538.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20210925_174555.jpg
    IMG_20210925_174555.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210925_174608.jpg
    IMG_20210925_174608.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210925_174340.jpg
    IMG_20210925_174340.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210925_174406.jpg
    IMG_20210925_174406.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 20
Thanks both (loving the pics orzo!) but, plot twist.. a new Flux XL complete centre section inc TVPs batt boxes transmission etc turned up on eBay for a good price so I hit the button & bought that. Reasons include; I've a lot of RC projects already underway so I can't devote so much time to experimenting & learning by my mistakes, I'm getting a lot of parts for the money, I want a lively MT to hoon about with not the ultimate Savage, and upgrading the bits that break will be straightforward. Plus the wife was out and I had a big shiny button in front of me :oops:

Of course I'll still need a motor & ESC.. Is the stock setup a re-branded one available cheaper elsewhere under a different name?

Well done. The nitro XL comes with sintered pinion and diff gear. You will have to change those to the forged type when they wear out.
The stock esc is a rebranded 150A hobbywing QUICRUN-WP-8BL150. You can also use the EZRUN Max8 V3 150A if you want to have extreme punch. Both can handle 6S.
The Tork 2200KV motor is quite unique but you can use any other 4274 size 2200KV motor (better if the motor can outside is flat at the edges without bulks that could interfere with the mounting brackets). Check that the motor shaft length is long enough (I had some problems with this in some of my conversions).
Enjoy the assembling

Well done. The nitro XL comes with sintered pinion and diff gear. You will have to change those to the forged type when they wear out.
The stock esc is a rebranded 150A hobbywing QUICRUN-WP-8BL150. You can also use the EZRUN Max8 V3 150A if you want to have extreme punch. Both can handle 6S.
The Tork 2200KV motor is quite unique but you can use any other 4274 size 2200KV motor (better if the motor can outside is flat at the edges without bulks that could interfere with the mounting brackets). Check that the motor shaft length is long enough (I had some problems with this in some of my conversions).
Enjoy the assembling
Thanks I will!
Awesome it's exactly these little tips I need, from people who've done it.
I'm after reliability over power tbh I'd rather it ran all day whatever I do with my throttle finger than impress for 30mins then die so if there's a slightly lesser setup which was bombproof I'd be very interested.

i converted my savage xl nitro with the alza mod and a kraton diff. the battery tray on both sides of the xl .
IMG_20210429_130728.jpgIMG-20210421-WA0012.jpeg

Last edited:
Enjoy the assembling
I’m torn between buying sensored and non-sensored, can’t decide if I’ll want/need to drive the thing slow enough to worry about the chatter. If money wasn’t a major factor I’d go sensored every time but it’s an expensive luxury.

…a couple of things came up, I lost a wheel on the test run (I’d only snugged them up so one spun off & rounded the wheel hex) which prompted a distant memory from a previous Savage that the wheel nuts on one side were left hand thread? On my XL they’re all right hand thread is this correct?

Also I want some black wheels for it but I like the Terra Pin tyres so was gonna buy rims only - what size do I ask for? The ones on it (chrome with round holes) appear to measure about 3.5” but is that an actual size or is it 3.2 or something?

The axles on the left side (chrome finish not black) used to tighten in opposite direction but this was dropped on later versions including electric ones. Personally I would get different tyres to Terrapins, too big and bouncy. Dirt Bonz go well on dry surface, 1/2 offset rims make it more stable. If you want grip in the wet then Proline Badlands/MX38 or Arrma Backflip.

Latest posts

Members online

Back