how do i keep my front wheels on the ground

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

609savage

everytime on excel on my savage x 4.6 the tires always come up...do i adjust the low side needle or what????

Accelerate more slowly...?

Yours must be tuned better than mine, I can wheelie sometimes, but it's not a huge problem for me.

When you say the wheels come up, I presume you mean that they come off the ground? Obviously the laws of physics dictate some front end rise, but if they are coming off the ground, maybe try lowering the front end/stiffening the rear end?

you can richen the lsn and it will calm it down on take off. just do it a little(1/16) of a turn counter clock wise at a time so you don't get it to rich and make it run like crap. also ive had good luck with softening the rear springs

There are two things that will take care of this. First you could get a wheelie bar that does not allow the front end to come up. Or you could gear it so it doesn't have as much bottom end power.

is it a bad thing that it wheeleis like that..do i have something set way to much or too little???? it is kinda annoying when i want to just step on it without always running over to flip it back over...i would like it to just have good accel without the crazy wheelies...

PIPER LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLL

Having the wheels come up is perfectly normal...she's a beast now and she wants to buck on you....go easy on throttle until you get use to rolling it out of 1st gear...pick up the HPI wheelie bar also...that will also assist when she wants to flip.

Their is of course the 40 series wheels and tire set up that will calm it down a bit.

what if i get softer springs in the rear and a wider but lower in profile tires and wheels????also sometimes on accel while rolling , if i mash teh throttle it comes up...well, maybe i just should be easy on the throttle at start and get a wheelie bar......man, is this truck a beast!!!!

what if i get softer springs in the rear and a wider but lower in profile tires and wheels????also sometimes on accel while rolling , if i mash teh throttle it comes up...well, maybe i just should be easy on the throttle at start and get a wheelie bar......man, is this truck a beast!!!!

I'm not sure what u mean by ''accel while rolling''

Lighter rear springs will give you better traction if I'm not mistaken. More traction will mean more wheelies. maybe look into extended TVPs and/or loosen the slipper a tad more.

ok where can i buy lighter springs and if so do i go by color or what company makes them( any part numbers will help) and how do i loosen up the slipper?

To loosen the slipper you just back off the nut that holds the spur gear on. Just do it a little at a time till it slips a little for you when you peg the throttle.

As for the springs, RC Raven makes some springs for the Savage. I have been using the RC Raven triple rate springs for over a year. They are stiffer so they should help you out. I don't see any of those right now , but here are some made by Fullforce RC....

http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-SAVAGE-21-2...ryZ44028QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Accelerate more slowly...?

maybe try lowering the front end/stiffening the rear end?

you said that opposite......the stiffer the rear is the easier the tires will lift off.. to the person to who said the stiffer the rears are the better traction the rears will get is semi true i believe, but the power is distributed more evenly then when you have soft springs, and all weight will fly to the back, therefore the front end goes up...

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe stiffer rear springs will allow the rear to drop less under acceleration - this weight shift onto the back wheels takes weight of the front wheels, which in turn makes it easier to lift the front wheels off the ground. I think stiffer springs will result in less traction, less rear-ward weight shift, and consequently less wheelies.

Of course, I've been wrong before, this is just how it seems it would be to me.

well, i did releive myself of the wheelies...1st i got a hpi wheelie bar..it si nice but kinda hard to start it with the roto start..2nd i got the yellow springs for the outer springs(front and rear) to keep the tension even, and removed the collars between the spring and top of shock, to give it the lower stance and finally i got lower profile tires with a 1/2" offset...now it comes up slightly..not enough to flip over..thanks guys for all your opinions>>>

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back