Hopefully the LHS has a dogbone!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JargonBomb

I had a right front axle shaft (dogbone) disappear on me today. Looks like my upper control arm magically popped off from the rod that holds it in place. I don't notice ANYTHING broken that would have caused it. Maybe you can see something I don't? o_O

zAo0HrM.png

O8jUj0U.png

xMbc12C.png

gFzn1LE.png

Was doing a bunch of high speed runs on a grass field and noticed that it was very hard for the truck to turn back towards my direction. Once I got it close enough, I saw that the right front tire was limp. Upon further inspection I saw the control arm off, Tried to put it back in place until I realized that it was held by the rod...

Anyway, during that short time the truck was acting really wierd after WOT runs back and forth. It sounded like the throttle jumped back up? I'd slow the truck down but it would rev up and go faster, had to hold the brake down a bit to drop the rpm's.

Ouch! Sorry to hear about that but hopefully you had fun while it lasted. I noticed those rods that serve as a hinge for the camber arms are easily removed during a crash. I also noticed some threaded holes on the main gear box which made me wonder if there was a piece missing from my kit used to capture those rods. I could not see one in the manual, so I two fabricated two pieces of plastic to wrap at the end of each rod, screwed it in and they are captured nicely no...the rods don't come out any more unless I want them to. I wonder how other people keep those in place?? I was going to get threaded rods if this did not work, but so far it does. It appears like the bumper arms have these little stops that seem designed to keep them in place but they spread apart. Take a look at your gear box and you'll see the threaded holes I'm referencing. Seems like they are intended to help capture the rods so they won't escape, causing the break down you had.I too am new and am surprised at how easily these things can break but I guess that is part of the game. You just have to learn how to fix it (better) and move on.!:bookworm:

Last edited:
Fairly common. If you can keep the bumper arms in place, the stops hold the bars in. I've noted them in red below. What I, as well as many others do, is use zip ties to hold the arms together.

upload_2015-8-31_8-26-29.png

Went to Hobby Wholesale today to get the dogbones. Also picked up an RPM center skidplate, Venom 1600 Hump Packs, Onyx 245 Charger, Hitec 7955TG Servo for the Steering and a LATRaX 1/18 Stadium Truck for my lil guy. They did have some pieces for the OFNA Throttle/Brake Mod but in yellow. :(

What did you get to keep the camber bar captured? Regarding the throttle components, what are the disadvantages to the yellow ones? Thanks

Regarding the throttle components, what are the disadvantages to the yellow ones? Thanks

I can't speak for him. However, he probably doesn't want yellow components. They come in many colors and he probably wants to match his other components.

Oh I get it, same product just different colors? I had read about the throttle/braking updates and realized it's not needed if the stock components are still working. I was thinking it was an add-on of some sort. Thank you for the clarification. I can see how yellow is not a desired color on this truck. lol

Yeah, for the throttle mod it's just a color preference! :D

I did what X suggested and ty-wrapped both bumper arms together. Ran it today jumping small ramps and some short WOT runs without any issues. Thanks guys!

I tried zip ties but unsure in a crash if that would still prevent (as the bumper seems to move quite a bit when it hits head on). Glad it's working for you though...I just don't want to lose any pieces. ;-) In the event it does not work out long-term for you I did a little research and it looks like #102520 it comes with parts that look eerily like what I made to capture the rods so they hold up in all scenarios. I found them for as low as $4.00 online. The other pieces seem to be for mounting an anti-roll bar. You;d think they would supply these with the kit itself, but I guess learning how to prevent these issues is part of the fun.
102520_102520_01p_800_600.jpg

Very good to know! If the ty-wraps don't hold i'll be definately trying this option.

Latest posts

Members online

Back