Hockeyizlife94s Axial .28 Spec 1S review/build up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockeyizlife94

so, once upon a time i headed to my LHS and bought an engine without really any plans on doing so which is completely unlike me, but i knew about the engine and i knew several people on the site loved them. i opted for the spec 1 instead of the rr, simply because i was short on cash, and that i was told the difference isnt going to be worth it for a basher, and that the rr was not as good at holding a tune. after tax i paid about 120, which isnt a bad price at all. i picked up a new set of shoes for it as well, per banks reccomendation i chose mugen seiki's carbon clutch shoes.

the set up:
so as i start to set up, i attach the old savage 25 flywheel and its not quite going down on the brass collet quite far enough. i ended up just putting it on and it meshed fine but it was still not going to work out as i note later in the review. also, the carb is on the wrong side for the savage, so you must flip it and you must also loosen the fuel nipple and rotate it so your fuel line isnt hitting your spur gear. ive never had the flywheel thing happen before, kinda odd...
IMG_2766-1.jpg

***i reccommend taking the rubber band off the bag first instead of pulling the bag off and letting this band melt to the heatsink like i did**

6/10 because of the flywheel problems

the break-in:
i place the car on the axials box and go to pull the string. after about 1 inch the motor fires up, and the string recoils right away, and the engine is alive. I'm thinking life is too good to be true! the recoil has been pulled a whole 1 inch in its life and its working great. i let the car idle through its first tank without stalling, then day one is over. so far i really cant ask for any better out of a new engine.
day two doesnt happen to be quite so convenient. the compression is too hard to handle, and the blisters start to form. well eventually it turned over and it idled like a champ once again

onto the break in while moving and cooling:
so tank three became interesting. at the end of tank 2 i took it off the blocks and did two circles. it drove fine, rich but fine. about 30 minutes later i started her up right away for tank 3 and i give it gas and it goes nowhere. at this point I'm wondering why the clutch isnt engaging. i never really thought that the engine would be too rich too move, but after making my flywheel fit better by filing out the middle, it still didnt work. i thought it was this because at this point there was so much friction between the bell and spur that i thought it was causing it.well I'm sure it was helping but it wasnt the problem. i revved her up and no where she goes so I'm thinking it has too be the hsn is too rich. i lean it out and slowly but surely it starts to move. as it gets hotter the better it goes, therefore explaining why it ran at the end of tank 2. tank 4 was similar, slow at the beggining...

tank 5: the fun is starting as i lean it out a little bit more, and it starts to show some power. its still running rich as balls btw.
tank 6: this tank i tune it even further, and i get wheelies on conrete in first with ease. the motor is still running rich and i can flip it on its back on command. its starting to look really fun over hear fellas. wait....stall....pull start goes up but doesnt go down..i take it apart, and out comes the rod with a nut in the middle, with no bearing as i expected....well whatever, i pulled off a piece of plastic and it rolled back into its home. i put it back on, and its back. hopefully ill get a few tanks in soon!!! good news also for the savvy today, one is that it now has dual disc brakes, the other is that at the end of the street a rc track will be built by some new neighbors who are into the hobby...
well the break in process is about done now with over 15 tanks, running fine but it really seems to run rather toasty. ive brought it back at over 300 degrees which cannot be to great for it, but i would say I'm still running pretty rich...just to note, i do not have a cold plug in it, but i will buy one at my next visit to the hobby shop..

9.5/10
would be a 10/10 if the recoil didnt do what it did, but this was honestly the easiest engine to break in that i have ever had. ive never seen an engine run the the first 6 tanks without stalling once(other then when the recoil went)

performance:

so far at about half a gallon, the torque is very strong even with my low end robbing rd logics pipe. the top speed is nice, but i rarely have it flored on concrete to really see how fast it is. off road it is quite a bit quicker then my buddies revo. the only thing to note is the running temps are rather high. its ease of tuning is unparalled to the other engines ive ever had though. so far, as a budget engine this thing has been great,its gotten me everything ive wanted out of it so far, and its running fine after a gnarly crash (thank you roll cage!) check the crash forum for that story lol...

8/10

overall i would rate this engine at about 9/10 especially when you consider its price it really should be higher then that.

Last edited by a moderator:
will hve first 6 tanks updated as of tonight, but right now I'm going to a tigers game fellas

updated as far as i have it, will update again as soon as tanks 7 and 8 go in tomm

figured i should update...engine doesnt work. made it well under 1 gallon. i called the warranty and they could barely speak english and i couldnt understand a thing, and they seemed to be saying they cant take it back...so i have a 130$ paperweight....

What happend .. Just doesn't work ???????

You need to call again and tell them you wanna speak to someone who speeks english .. Tell us whats up w/ the engine bro

figured i should update...engine doesnt work. made it well under 1 gallon. i called the warranty and they could barely speak english and i couldnt understand a thing, and they seemed to be saying they cant take it back...so i have a 130$ paperweight....

what did they say down at your LHS? Are they willing to at least make a call for you? What happened to it to make it stop working?

Edit: Turns out the Recoil was too tight, i had it at just over half way tight and that seems to be the problem. right now i have the screws at 1/4 tight and it seems to be working. i have yet to fire it up. i am going to need to heat gun it i have a feeling since everything still seems really tight, i really need to start leaning down quicker then i usually do it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Back