Hmmm....front wheels turning .....rear wheels not!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armageddon_1

Hi all..........name is Blake and I'm new to the hobby. Just got my Savage X 4.6 on Sept. 11 /08 . I made the mistake of buying a cheap 1/8 off the internet in July......after only breaking in the engine more parts than i care to mention were failing. I saw the light:cheers: and bought a Savage. I have already worn the teeth off my first spur geer. Local hobby shop guy set me straight on that. Now .....everything was running fine.....I thought I would just slightly tune it better in my driveway,.....was turning the truck around on the neighbours front yard ....and she stopped. I could hit the throttle and engine was wailing but no forward movement. I have since looked at things I have seen on this forum......dogbones are fine, ......not sure what they mean by the grub (set) screws on the drive cups for the center drive line, but everything else seems ok. Just not sure what to do next. Front wheels spin when the throttle is pressed with the wheels off the ground,.....they just wont drive the vehicle forward (and back wheels don't spin at all). I spin the back wheels one at a time and the opposite wheel spins opposite direction. I hold all three wheels and spin one of the back wheels and I get opposition...in other words it wants to spin but can't cause I'm holding it?? Any help greatly appreciated to this newbie. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
The grub screws which are mentioned are set screws which connect the drive cups to the transmission and also to the front and rear differentials. these screws are notorious for coming out. Since your front wheels are working and the rear is not, 99% sure its those screws.

Another thing to look at is if the rear driveshaft is spinning, and the grub(set) screw is in the rear diff cup, then you may have a differential problem. Hope this helps and keep us updated on whats going on. happy wrenching!!

If all above does not work, try checking the pins that go through the ends of the driveshafts that fit in to the hexes, they fall out easy when changing/removing wheels..My truck was running front wheel drive and it was because the pins had fallen out without me knowing.

The grub screws which are mentioned are set screws which connect the drive cups to the transmission and also to the front and rear differentials. these screws are notorious for coming out. Since your front wheels are working and the rear is not, 99% sure its those screws.

+1 on that ^^......very common. You need to use a small amount of blue loctite on those threaded pins.

Welome to the forum by the way !

It sounds more like the slipper clutch than anything to me. If you read the last two sentences he typed, he said he can hold three wheels and try to spin the fourth and there is resistance. Which means all the grub screws are ok, wheel hexes are ok, pins in the dogbones are ok, and diffs are ok. So, basically, that only leaves the slipper clutch or brakes slightly binding. Those are my opinions on the problem. And welcome to the forum.

Well well well.........thanks everyone and all for the posts. I will have to read slowly and carry a big stick......LOL.....JK.....I will read thru the posts methodically and try and eliminate all possible suggestions. I think however that ExtremeSavage might be on the mark as he has listened to what I said and come with his conclusions........thank you all for the posts,....and if there is anything else anyone can think of.....please let me know.

Cheers, Blake

I read it through ok, but it was very late in the day for me ! :hardlaugh:

Hope you get it fixed.

Oh, and you should still loctite those pins anyhow, because they will work loose.

Well well well.........thanks everyone and all for the posts. I will have to read slowly and carry a big stick......LOL.....JK.....I will read thru the posts methodically and try and eliminate all possible suggestions. I think however that ExtremeSavage might be on the mark as he has listened to what I said and come with his conclusions........thank you all for the posts,....and if there is anything else anyone can think of.....please let me know.

Cheers, Blake
I know the slipper would cause it not to move but would not cause the front only to spin. there is no diff between the front and rear. Both spin at all times and equally. If I were to guess Id say its a compound problem and not one thing. Yes # 1 is the slipper. #2 grub screws. Put the truck on a flat surface and turn the spur by hand check the drive line Find what does not turn and then check it grubs. you could also have a blown rig and pinion. These are all common issues and simple fixes. good luck.

I also edited you first post. No need to use adjectives to describe issues. (front spins like a **) Please leave unneeded expressions out of your posts. Also flaming people who are tring to help you is not in your best interest. There trucks work but next time you need help you may fine less answers on your thread...

Bankrupter..........no problem on the "adjectives" issue, which by the way is why I only put first letters so as not to offend anyone, but next time I'll leave them out :) As for flaming people??? Yikes what did you read that you thought I meant offensively towards anyone?? Not sure, but anyhow, I do appreciate the responses as I have noted.

No you didn't "Flame" but I know 1 person commented to me about "as he has listened to what I said and come with his conclusions". And was ticked they took time to try and help. I could not come up with what that really was.. "flamed" was for lack of words on my part. But that's how a member felt. All good my man! Welcome to the forum and did you find the problem ?

Latest posts

Members online

Back