HELP!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt23481

HELP!!! i just got a savage with the F4.6 V1 motor in it and i broke the pull start assembly and have NOT had any luck finding a replacement. So what i am thinking about doing is saying FORGET the pull start and putting a roto-start on it BUT i haven't been able to find any of them either. So does anybody know where i can either find a replacement pull start assembly or the roto-start for this truck??

Thanks

Ok but all of the ones I have found on eBay all have the 14mm OWB and from what I’ve read online that won’t work on the V1.

I believe any pull start for a big block .21 and up are universal. I have an s.h. Pull start on my lrp.30.

I believe any pull start for a big block .21 and up are universal. I have an s.h. Pull start on my lrp.30.
Oh really?? But on this motor it has an internal one way bearing. So would I be able to just pull the internal one way bearing out and put a normal one way bearing on it without messing anything up?

Oh really?? But on this motor it has an internal one way bearing. So would I be able to just pull the internal one way bearing out and put a normal one way bearing on it without messing anything up?

No they are not all universal. You have to find the one that is made for it. The engine you have has the external hex shaped one way bearing correct?

Okay. I cant find any either at the moment. I believe they are discontinued because they switch to the 14mm hex version. You MAY be able to put a 14mm one way bearing on your engine so you can use the 14mm pull start, but I cant say for sure since Ive never had any of the v2 engines. I don't know if the input shaft is the same size

F4.6 v1 doesnt have internal one way bearing. Just a regular 12mm hex one way bearing behind backplate. K4.6 and k5.9 has internal one way bearings.
Pullstarts are acutally really simple, take it a part, clean the spring, replace the cord if needed and put it back together. Strong nerves recommended. Its also good to buy a backup so you have always one new or refurbished to take.

F4.6 v1 doesnt have internal one way bearing. Just a regular 12mm hex one way bearing behind backplate. K4.6 and k5.9 has internal one way bearings.
Pullstarts are acutally really simple, take it a part, clean the spring, replace the cord if needed and put it back together. Strong nerves recommended. Its also good to buy a backup so you have always one new or refurbished to take.
Yeah I have spent about 5 hours trying to recoil the spring and didn’t have any luck. Luckily during that process I decided to experiment a little bit and pull a backing plate and bearing and everything off of 1 of my other cars and it lined up so mounted that and just took the truck I stole parts off on my shelf and am currently waiting in my order of pull starts to come in lol. Thanks for the response though

Well if your going to stick to pullstart, I would strongly suggest not to give up fixing it. It can be a little tricky at first but second time is easy. And you will be taking it apart/cleaning/fixing/replacing cord. Although if you have bucks to spend, you can buy new ones.
Main enemies are dust and pulling it too hard with good compression. If the engine is new (has really high compression) I would also suggest loosening the glowplug for first start or engine heater. Otherwise you will be going through those pullstarts fast. (just did one myself)

Attachments

• Savage.jpg
    Savage.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 8
Well if your going to stick to pullstart, I would strongly suggest not to give up fixing it. It can be a little tricky at first but second time is easy. And you will be taking it apart/cleaning/fixing/replacing cord. Although if you have bucks to spend, you can buy new ones.
Main enemies are dust and pulling it too hard with good compression. If the engine is new (has really high compression) I would also suggest loosening the glowplug for first start or engine heater. Otherwise you will be going through those pullstarts fast. (just did one myself)
Don’t really want to stick with pull start (because I’m lazy) but I had roto-start on it and broke 2 teeth off of the gears so I’m back to pull start until the new gears come in. Do you know of a better electric start that I can put on besides the roto-start??

How do you manage to brake rotostart teeths? Are you overpriming the engine? Are you using rotostart first editon or rotostart 2? (rotostart 2 has a kill switch if the compression is too high).
I have used numerous rotostarts and pullstarts, never had any problem besides rotostart killing the one way bearing faster. BTW replacing the bearing inside the one way bearing case is like 0.xx cents( euro cents). Bearing you need is HF0612. I bought 10 from aliexpress with 2 euros. Just need to press the old one out and new one in and save a fortune.
There isnt actually any better solutions. Best solution is bump start which you cant use on savages. So best to keep spares close and cheap.

How do you manage to brake rotostart teeths? Are you overpriming the engine? Are you using rotostart first editon or rotostart 2? (rotostart 2 has a kill switch if the compression is too high).
I have used numerous rotostarts and pullstarts, never had any problem besides rotostart killing the one way bearing faster. BTW replacing the bearing inside the one way bearing case is like 0.xx cents( euro cents). Bearing you need is HF0612. I bought 10 from aliexpress with 2 euros. Just need to press the old one out and new one in and save a fortune.
There isnt actually any better solutions. Best solution is bump start which you cant use on savages. So best to keep spares close and cheap.
Roto-start 2 and I think it was primed too much. Oh well love and learn right?

The guy that had it before me must’ve done something because the metal coil spring is all messed up
That's still usually repairable. Fully unwind it, nicely while wearing eye protection, clean it with paper towel/DA, clean the housing with DA, reshape the hooks on the ends if need be (a bit of heat to remove temper is usually necessary), wind it back up, install it, put the spool back in, wrap the string around it.

It's a pain, but I've done enough of them due to having the stupid spring BOING out, or the string snapping due to rubbing on stuff that it's not much of a chore anymore. I just learned, clean the spring before you rewind. Otherwise, the little cuts you may end up with will have grease/oil/dirt in them and take forever to heal. lol!

There's videos on youtube about rewinding them as well that can help.

I prefer pull starts over roto or onboard starters, then you can feel what the engine is doing better. And it's one less thing to charge/carry around/go dead on you.

Latest posts

Members online

Back