Help, 3 speed transmission doesn't shift at all

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savagebeast93

I recently took my transmission apart to adjust the gears. It was shifting only once (it has a 3 speed transmission) so I was trying to correct this....after putting it back in it does not shift at all....I took it back out tonight and realised I’d made the stupid mistake of putting RED loctite on the the grub screws that hold both clutches in place and the adjustment grub screws. I am currently trying to heat it up in the oven to see if I can get them to budge. If this fails what can I do? New transmission? :(

The heat should do it, I used a heat gun to remove the pinion on my Arrma Kraton. It was slathered in red loctite from the factory, not just the grub screw, but the motor shaft.

The heat should do it, I used a heat gun to remove the pinion on my Arrma Kraton. It was slathered in red loctite from the factory, not just the grub screw, but the motor shaft.

Didn’t work man, grub screws just rounded off. All I can do not is buy the parts the rebuild that part of the transmission. So gutted

Do you have MIP hex drivers? Those things are a life saver, I've removed rounded out grub screws with them. Unless the transmission parts are cheaper, I would give it a shot again with MIP drivers and a heat gun cranked up to high. My $20 Werner heat gun liquefies red loctite.

Do you have MIP hex drivers? Those things are a life saver, I've removed rounded out grub screws with them. Unless the transmission parts are cheaper, I would give it a shot again with MIP drivers and a heat gun cranked up to high. My $20 Werner heat gun liquefies red loctite.
if its too long gone for the MIP, ive found that hammering a small torx bit into the grub screw then backing out works well, also a soldering iron should work to release the loctite, but everyone has their own way to do it lol.

With something like this, the easiest way to get heat into it is to take a cheap L allen you can get for a few $, heat it up with a torch until it's red hot, then put it in the screw head and let it sit a minute. Remove it, then using a allen you didn't heat up, try removing it. Heating it will remove the temper of the allen, so not a good idea to use that heated one except for heating the screw/burning/melting the loctite.

NEVER NEVER use red locktite on any of these things......

Yes, I have learnt the hard way. I have had to buy 2 new clutch housing units and the idler shaft in order to rebuild the transmission. This involved using a dremel to actually cut through the first clutch housing in order to get the rest off, else I was going to have to replace the entire thing. Never ever will I use red Loctite again. I did everything suggests by different members here and nothing worked. I managed to fix it for £30 and a bit of grinding with a dremel. Blue Loctite from now on I guess!

Latest posts

Members online

Back