hello, please help me out!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyinlow

I'm new here and new to the hobby and still trying to figure all this out lol, anyway i have a savage with a axial .28 , i have the hpi 3 shoe alum clutch in it with the silver springs... heres the problem, i was driving the truck last run and all of a sudden it seemed like the clutch wasnt engaging.. so i took the truck apart and realized the slipper was completely gone on it, so i replaced that, got the truck all back together and went out for a run today, same issue, the truck runs good revs like crazy but barely moves.. so i brought it home took it all apart and i cannot for the life of me see anything wrong with the clutch or the gears in the tranny??!? anyone ever run into this?? if so help me shed some light on this so i can get back out to bashin :)

mmm.. Just make sure you tighten your slipper clutch all the way down then back it off 1/4 turn..

Make sure your pilot nut is tight(the nut that holds the flywheel on) .. Make sure you don't have any broken springs and everything is working like it should.. keep me posted

Last edited by a moderator:
checked the pilot nut and it was tight, clutch seems like its working properly, slipper was tightened down and backed off 1/4 turn(just did that before last run ) tranny engages if you hold all the wheels off the ground, as soon as it has any resistance, it will still turn the wheels but barely moves the truck....

I'm wondering if something in the tranny has gone??

think its possible i need to put the gold springs on the clutch?

It might be unlikely but maybe the grub screws are gone in your driveshafts at your transmission cup going to axles.

hmmm i have the truck all apart, the grub screws in the cups were fine i removed them to check, i pulled the transmission out and everything seems to be functioning fine, everthing is engaging properly if you spin the spur.. this has me completely stumped!!!

I'm readin the other thread now :)

welcome to the forum buddy!! you definately came to the right place for help!!

Your clutches may be slipping inside your clutch bell. Take it off and clean it. Then rough up the part that the clutches touch with some sand paper. Let us know what happening, we'll get you thru it.
Joey

you guys are awesome!!! sure are making me feel welcome here !! even tho i am a newbie!!

yes i put the clutch in.... what way should it be going? anyone got a pic of the proper way???

if your facing the flywheel the shoes should go to the right
check the HPI web site for a pic

yep thats the way they are!!i have a axial .28 and the hpi 3 shoe clutch, think i should be using the gold springs??

Is there anyway you can get a vid of the truck in action .. I think by the sound and stuff that will help out

a vide will be hard.. i have the truck completely apart...

the truck starts and runs good, just when i give it throttle, it barely moves, seems like the power is not getting to the wheels, last run i had it out it ran good for the first bit of the run then it acted like a worn out slipper, so i took it apart and replaced the one slipper pad behind the spur, i thought that was the cure, however its still doin the same thing. just seom reason i cant get the power from the motor to the wheels

While you have it apart, check your diffs out. I am not sure which Savage you have, but if its a 25 I believe they have the plastic diff cup and 2 gears on the inside and could possibly have stripped out. Highly unlikely both are broken, but its another thing to check. If your diff cup is aluminum then you probably have 4 spider gears and most definatly not the problem.

Another thing to check is when you put the motor back together, make sure the mesh between your CB and SG is correct. Keep us posted and I am sure we can get that thing running for you.

welcome to the forum

forgive me if yo have mentioned this already but, how old is the savy.

sounds like a one way issue in trans.

or diffs but, the diffs would soounfd like grinding and clicking metal

or is it possble a drive pin is out of the truck somewhere?

Ck and see that the pin marked is in there.

dhaxt255

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/dhaxt255/Pin.jpg

k i pulled the spur apart and all the drive pins are there..
where is this one way your talking about and how do i tell if its locked up??

as for the age of the savy I'm not sure i bought it used off a classified....

upon more inspection, i notice the diff cup on the front has fallen off (the one from the main driveshaft).. you think this would make the truck act like it has no power to either front or rear???

If the diff cup has fallen off (assuming you are talking about the drive cup, not sure how a diff cup would fall off), that would probably be your problem in the front as far as the wheels getting no power. Do you still have the front-center driveshaft?

After reading the thread, I would check to see if the drivecups coming from the transmission turn. If not, then I would say there is something wrong between your transmission and clutch. But if the drivecups on the transmission move, then I'd say it is something like the diffs. Check your ring/pinion gears in both diffs. Maybe you are missing some teeth on the gears.

The one way bearing in the tranny, maybe it has gone bad and will not hold against the shaft hard enough to move the truck.

Latest posts

Members online

Back