Has the xs been improved?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vurelis

Hello all. I am thinking of purchasing a new savage xs flux. I am concerned from all the negative reviews regarding the esc issues. If I get this truck, I intend on leaving the stock motor and esc in it. From what i have read, it seems at some point in the last few years that HPI changed the motor and esc. Is this true? If so, are the esc problems fixed? Has anything else been updated on the truck? I want this truck, but I can't afford to start buying high dollar parts right away. I will be running 2s 5000mah lipos 30c or higher. Thanks for any info you can give.

Well since the release of the XS Raptor edition last year sometime they have not done anything that I know of, everything I have read says the electronics are the new updated ones in this latest iteration......

Thank you. Are the updated electronics still bad about overheating or malfunctioning?

I have the older version, so I can't comment on the new one. That being said, I believe most of the overheating problems were had by folks running 3S batteries. I frequently run 2S batteries in hot weather and have had no heat-related problems so far.

Cool. I plan on running only 2s. I looked at tower hobbies and they have the newer motor and esc listed under the raptor version. They still have the old motor and esc listed under the original body xs. I may get the newer version and hope for the best. At least it will be under warranty. I was also considering an associated rc10 t4.2. I will be running mostly on short grass, gravel, and dirt. I will be doing a little jumping but nothing crazy. I may also do a little trail running. I won't be doing anything over the top or competition based. If you had the money but not enough for upgrades, which model would you all get? (I know this is an HPI forum, but please try to be unbiased)

Well the RC10 T 4.2 is basically a race machine built for track racing duties , if just running in open areas of differing surfaces you may want to consider a different vehicle like a short course truck which is a decent all round play vehicle....
SC Trucks are made by just about every manufacturer and the choice will be in your budget and parts available in your specific area....

I'm only familiar with the XS, as it's the only one I've owned. I think it works great for a small basher, though I don't think I can say it's 100% free of "necessary" upgrades. I did run mine completely stock for quite some time without any failures, though. The only parts I would say should eventually be upgraded are related to long term wear, not sudden failures.

It may be a little late response, but for those people that have a similar question; I own a new Savage XS Ford Raptor. It includes the EMH-3S ESC and the Flux MMH 4000kv engine. The early version of the XS had the Vapor Pro ESC and the Flux Vector 4000kv engine. Also the great TF-40 transmitter is included. I haven't had any heat issues so far. I use 2S 5200mAh 50C lipos. The truck is amazing fast on this, but on stock tires you can't do any standing backflips. Also good to know that the ESC can be programmed without additional usb cables, as was the case with the Vapor pro ESC of Castle. I also own a Savage X 4.6 (nitro) but that one is catching dust since I bought the XS.

It may be a little late response, but for those people that have a similar question; I own a new Savage XS Ford Raptor. It includes the EMH-3S ESC and the Flux MMH 4000kv engine. The early version of the XS had the Vapor Pro ESC and the Flux Vector 4000kv engine. Also the great TF-40 transmitter is included. I haven't had any heat issues so far. I use 2S 5200mAh 50C lipos. The truck is amazing fast on this, but on stock tires you can't do any standing backflips. Also good to know that the ESC can be programmed without additional usb cables, as was the case with the Vapor pro ESC of Castle. I also own a Savage X 4.6 (nitro) but that one is catching dust since I bought the XS.

Get the Big Joe Pro-Line II 2.2's:D

There is nothing wrong with the electronics in the savage xs the updated version like state above is extremely reliable. I've run 3s on mine for months with zero issues . my personal opinion is that the esc/motor combo in the xs blows the velenion system out of the water. by far! all the issues were with the first batch, which have not been produced in yrs

Members online

Back