Half tank lean

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savagex4.6

I’m was tired of trying to get the savage to run consistent throughout the whole tank so I bought a Ofna item # 41037 tank, made my own bracket and made sure the bottom was above the carb so even if pressure was lost it would still have gravity to feed fuel. This is the best way I found to correct the problem Hpi knows they have.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 8
That's a tad high for my taste. I don't care for having anything stick up higher than the engine. On bad roof landing and that puppy is getting smashed.

Not sure what I'll try when I can't find OFNA tanks again. I had to replace my old one due to the spring and o-ring on the cap going bad. Downside of running a smaller 125cc tank is short run time. Especially when running a thirsty engine like my LRP30. It's rediculous how long my OS 21TM lasts on a 150cc tank in my revo. Seems to run forever!

My savage runs nice and clean from full to empty with the OFNA 19076 tank on it. I hate the stock tank with a passion!
2016-0603-SavageX-OFNA19076Tank.jpg

I felt the same at first about the height but the body protects it and haven’t had any issues yet.

Sorry for multiple replies but I also meant to comment on the tank size. Half of the problem modifying the savage is everything is so compact it’s hard to find room to do anything lol. I also tried a smaller ofna tank in the past and couldn’t stand the short run times. I’m running a fuel guzzling Losi 454 with the turbo head. The tank I pictured in this post is 150cc and the stick tank is 160cc so it’s almost as big as a stock tank and I get good run times. When I tried to get it a bit lower it interfered with the linkage. With me it’s about finding a balance, either way it beats a motor that runs poor at one part of the tank and or try’s to melt down the motor at another lol. To the person that replied to my original post I do like the way yours is set up in your pic, it’s nice and clean.

Sorry for multiple replies but I also meant to comment on the tank size. Half of the problem modifying the savage is everything is so compact it’s hard to find room to do anything lol. I also tried a smaller ofna tank in the past and couldn’t stand the short run times. I’m running a fuel guzzling Losi 454 with the turbo head. The tank I pictured in this post is 150cc and the stick tank is 160cc so it’s almost as big as a stock tank and I get good run times. When I tried to get it a bit lower it interfered with the linkage. With me it’s about finding a balance, either way it beats a motor that runs poor at one part of the tank and or try’s to melt down the motor at another lol. To the person that replied to my original post I do like the way yours is set up in your pic, it’s nice and clean.

Yep, I had the same issue. My LRP30 drains the 125cc pretty quick. I had an LRP28 with the old ofna tank, couldn't get it to tune right and it only had around 2 gallons through it. I got fed up and ordered the 30... then had pretty much the same headache. It was then I realized my old OFNA tank was leaking all over because I ran it somewhere in the dirt. Tried futzing with the OG tank, man, I hate that thing. Then found an alternate 125cc OFNA tank as you see above. I would like more run time, but didn't want to heavily modify the truck for a mid-tank or get XL chassis for more room, so I live with the smaller tank. Like you, I just want it to run right when I run it. I don't want to spend half my time trying to get the engine to tune "good enough". If I wanted "good enough", I'd stick with a stock engine. LOL!

Hey Guys, I am Not familiar with this 1/2 tank lean you are talking about, I have used the HPI-87149 since it came out on all my Savages and I run trucks until tank is empty with no issues, The MAIN change I have made besides sealing the engine is to seal the Carb accordion and exhaust coupling. (see pics) I get full pressure to tank and no mess from exhaust leak.

Attachments

• CARB.jpg
    CARB.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 4
  • PIPE.jpg
    PIPE.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 4
Hey Guys, I am Not familiar with this 1/2 tank lean you are talking about, I have used the HPI-87149 since it came out on all my Savages and I run trucks until tank is empty with no issues, The MAIN change I have made besides sealing the engine is to seal the Carb accordion and exhaust coupling. (see pics) I get full pressure to tank and no mess from exhaust leak.
Wonder if it's the all factory setup that makes the difference. I never ran an HPI engine or the composite pipe. I just know that no matter what trick I tried, the LRP28 or LRP30 did not do well with the stock tank.

My son has the X4.6 and he was having lean issues , after sealing the exhaust coupling, no more lean issues and no more mess . Also I have an HPI aluminum pipe I have ran on my original 21 and on the 4.1 and 4.6 V2 with no lean out. One thing I can say is the fuel tank with the Primer sucked big time.

Attachments

• SAVAGE WITH F4.6.jpg
    SAVAGE WITH F4.6.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back