Grub Screw Trouble! Oh No

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NITROMITE

Its been awhile since my last thread but thought this may be help full for another member in the long run. I have split the grub screw on the front side of the tranny. I have broak the heads off them in the past but this is a bis trickier. Before I make life harder on myself, I ask for your advise. Lock-tite is applied.

CAM_0775.jpg

Wish I had a dremal, now what do i do? not much room for one any way. I am afraid needle nose pliers will just complicate the matter.

I feel your pain! If you have a small drill bit(maybe a couple around the same size) and a steady hand you can drill it to where the threads start and it should back out. I like the dremel slot idea but you are limited on space! Hopefully the heat from the drill bit will help release the lock-tite, or someone here has the miracle grub screw removal gadget( sorry no time for funny stuff). I hope this will help

you have any gator bits ? its a drill bit the drils in reverse digging into the screw so you can unscrew it

Take a dremel with a cut off disc and cut a slit threw the grub screw and use a flat head screw driver and back it out like that.

Hope this helps

I agree with this idea...Unfortunately, to get a decent bite with a screw driver, it involved getting into the brake disc hex a bit so you may end up having to replace it. Seeing you don't have a dremel, you may need to borrow one from somebody...I think a hack saw blade is too big also...

Eze out. Kinda like the gator bit mentioned. You will drill a small hole, depending on the size of the eze out. The eze out has reverse threads, so you screw it out in reverse and it will bite into the screw and back it out. To help, heat the grub screw with a heat gun, or hot hair dryer, to deteriorate the locktite.

Another option Ive had to do in the past on a pinion, is to try and just pry it off with a screwdriver. Work your way around it, prying a little at a time and you should be able to get it off. Once its off, there is no pressure on it and it should unscrew pretty easy.

go from the backside nitro mite with a small drill bit and drill slowly through the pin if you are lucky and you prob will be that drill bit will bite and push the screw right out. has worked for me before

what mic key said but get a bit bigger each time

tried the dremal screwdriver idea (friend had the dremmal) now the problem got worse. the half that was their broke in half. :-(

@ Mikey drilling from the opposite side had crossed my mind. Thing is, the rod coming from the tranny is the last thing I want to damage. I am upgrading to the duel brakes so the break hex piece will be replaced any way. So I am going to cut threw it and this should solve my problem. Very good ideas guys thanks for the help and I will keep you posted on the outcome.

well if you are replaceing the hex for the brakes drill the allan key right out. from the hex side of it. once you get so far the pin will come out allowing you to remove the pin

Ok, Thanks for the help guys. In this case it was easy-est for me to cut a slit in the aluminum hex that holds the breaks in place (using a dremmal). then i used a flat head screwdriver to snap the the hex in half giving me plenty of room to get at the grub screw.
Now to get this savage back together for the Monster Jam show in a couple weeks
CAM_0777.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Back