greasing outside gears on the diff?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkattack99

well i got my BP diffs yesterday and i put them in (hope i shimmed them ok) but i forgot to grease the pinion gear and the bevel gear (outside of the diff) will i damage anything, i mean it doesn't stay there. cause if i don't have to take that diff cover off I'm not going to till i need to but if greasing them is a good idea then i will. i greased the front ones cause i remembered that one, lol. thanks guys.

shark

Grease is a good idea wherever there is going to be friction, but I'm not sure if it would really do any subtantial damage to these diff gears. Someone with more experience will know about that. I've always run grease on them.

HD Automotive grease works fine and you get a big tube for like 5.00 too.
simply pop off the skidplate and fill it with grease that way, easy to do even if you forgot to do it.

You can just pop off the black plastic skid plate and apply it to the pinion gear from underneath, with a q-tip or something, and then spin the wheels a few times until you feel that it's on both gears heavy/even enough. No need to take everything apart.

lol i forgot about just accessing it from beneath. Nice1! i may do that more often as well

well i was using lithium grease, but i just used the grease that came with my BP gears.

yeah i forgot i could just do that too, lol.

Some of you might know my Diff bulk head blew up in pieces, I went to the LHS today and the staff first said whats the point of putting on grease ? I'm like Lubes for tear and wear since the gear spin so fast? its common sense. He said you can go to Pepboys and buy "Mother's" brand something grease.

well the thing that gets me is that almost all of the grease ends up on the diff casing, I'm sure some stay on the gears though.

Some of you might know my Diff bulk head blew up in pieces, I went to the LHS today and the staff first said whats the point of putting on grease ? I'm like Lubes for tear and wear since the gear spin so fast? its common sense. He said you can go to Pepboys and buy "Mother's" brand something grease.

uhhhhh.....isnt Mothers an automotive wax? lol
look at canadian tire, pep boys, napa, etc for a thing of HD Grease, not wax!! haha

:10:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back