Going from K4.6 to LRP what al is needed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShiftPoint

Hi,

I have decided on a LRP mill. I currently have a K4.6 in a XSS, is there anything else I need to make the change?

should I get a new flywheel or anything, is it east to remove the old one frm the k4.6?

anything else it would be a good idea to get?

I am thinking abut getting one of these, because it is vented and anodized (I can scratch a mark through the color at BDC that wont wipe off after a couple runs.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKAY8&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDLF6&P=V

any suggestions? (I have never changed from a stock mill before.

Am I going to see a big difference in power going from a k4.6 to the LRP Z.28R Spec 3?

thanks

the spec 3 is a beast of a motor also i like the robison flywheel due to its vented and it comes with little shims put those on the pins it helps the cluth from dragging on the fly wheel .

shiftpoint I'm really interested in seeing how you make out ! the lrp upgrade from the 46 is what i may be doing or rather am contiplantig.. don't keep us in suspense

i agree keep use posted. i am getting ready to up grade from the 4.1 to the lrp when i do i will let everone know what i think.

I just used the stock flywheel and nove shoes and mugen 1.0 springs .. All you need is a wheelie bar b/c your going to need it ..

Never ran the 4.6 but I can tell you I have a surefire and it will smoke my surefire

yo shiftpoint nice mill your getting i love them thats all i put in my rc i used the ofna fan fly wheel part number 10043 let more air in looks just like a fan and the nova clutch with 1.1 springs and vented clutch bell after running a tank full the clutch is so cool same as the temp out side springs give a nice snap like a rocket .did you order it yet i orderd a nother one and its on back order for two weeks.also ever thing should match perfect .my ones don't wheely they jump i mean leap on two wheels the guy i get my lrp from tuned nitro for years old italian dude told me his father work for novarossi like in 1969 over seas man he can tune .did my one i was riding wheelies but when he was done it was leaping like 10'' no joke.... you will be very happy good choice . the springs are 1.1 mugen thanks good luck...ps get a good wheely bar.......

well what will happen with the gearing 15 and 47 or 16/47?

Thanks guys, I have the nova shoes on my 4.6, just put them in about a quart ago so they should still be ok. I have a hard time keeping the front end down with the 4.6 and the buku. I just put a n20 injector on it and it does jump in the air with that, in fact it is really hard to control with the n20 on, ive been crashing a lot since I installed it.

I have the stock supr and CB I am wondering if I should change to 20/47 gearig while I am at it??

Now I am wondering if I should get new shoes, just wondering what the ones I have look like?? should be ok I guess.

well there in stock at tower, let me know if you guys think I should change gearing I guess I would only need a new CB, yea I have the 47 tooth spur I might as well get a 20 tooth vnted while I am at it. one of the bearings was looking bad last time I opened it I get them too.

thanks guys

Thanks Mike, thats the flywheel I was thinking of when I found the robinson.

now that I look at both it looks like the air will blow in different directions on them. Take a look it looks like the blades are going in different directions (unless I am crazy) which one would be better, I think I woud rather have the air blow in from the trany side, not sure which way it spin's?

take a look

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPF82&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKAY8&P=7

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Shift i just put a lrp .28 spec 3 in my savage and there is such a massive power difference. The nose loves to lift:)

I just put a Hpi polished pipe on and the power is insane:)
So i guess with the buku pipe youll have even more power.

In any case the Lrp mill is very powerful and easy to break in and start.

your right i never noticed that so now the ofna blows towards the motor and the robinson blows towards the clutch shoes. the only thing is maybe i am wrong but with a vented clutch bell the ofna will pull the air through the vented clutch fly wheel to the motor. the robinson will push the air away from the motor to th clutch its like it going against the force of the wind you know what i mean maybe its for if you don't have a vented clutch bell to put cool air in the bell?? also let dave know from buku that you have a lrp now and get a bigger cone its a "193" cone alot of lrp owners have great success with it .and i also used the blue spring works nice for me..good luck bro and thanks..

I think the better one would be the one that pulls air through the vents in the CB to the motor, not the other way cause the air near the motor will be hot.

the ofna looks like it moves more air then the other, I am just not sure which way it spins. I think I am going for the ofna. either one will move a lot of air at 30,000 rpms

thanks

shiftpoint whats up the ofna one cools the motor looking from the front of the truck at the motor it spins to the left and the fan blades pull the cool air to the motor thats the best one i look at my ceiling fan thats how figured it out ofna the best one i think like you said pulls cool air. also its super light the motor will spin better with out the weight my brother has the 4.6 i put a new receiver in and drove it and theres no comparison the lrp has a lot more power i have one to but its a shelf queen still brand new its the blue x 4.6 nice truck don't forget to get that cone from dave bigger holes in it .also put the rotto start on it forget that pull string.. thanks

with either one though, wont a vented one create more drag possibly taking away power? especially at 30,000+ rpms! that thing gets to spinning with that much of a pitch pushing air will be harder to turn?

also i hear from everyone the lrp is a monster, but what is the k4.6? is it not a monster? mine is completely stock k4.6 and it will go over backwards everytime at full throttle. compared to the k4.6 is the lrp motor THAT much better?

with either one though, wont a vented one create more drag possibly taking away power? especially at 30,000+ rpms! that thing gets to spinning with that much of a pitch pushing air will be harder to turn?

also i hear from everyone the lrp is a monster, but what is the k4.6? is it not a monster? mine is completely stock k4.6 and it will go over backwards everytime at full throttle. compared to the k4.6 is the lrp motor THAT much better?

I will let you knw in a couple days. I am going to try to break mine in tomarrow. I too think the HPI K4.6 is very powerful, I have a hard time keeping the front end down with the k4.6.

Shiftpoint...any updates on this? I"m curious to see how everything is running. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Back