Glow Plugs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotChiliRam

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this forum and wanted to say hello first.
Well, my problem is as follows, I have a Almost new HPI Savage X4,6 SS. I own a Savage 25 RTR too, well my Nitro Star engine is burning all the glow plugs that I install. No matter wich glow plug I install, after 5 minutes with the engine running, it suddenly stops. I don't have a clue on what could be causing this problem to happen and don't have a clue on how to solve it either.
Please give me some hints.

Thanks in advance.

How do the glow plugs look? Are the coils ash or oily looking? If ashy, then your truck is too lean, too rich if they appear oily. Those would be resolved by tuning the High Speed Needle.

How do the glow plugs look? Are the coils ash or oily looking? If ashy, then your truck is too lean, too rich if they appear oily. Those would be resolved by tuning the High Speed Needle.

as CM said we need more info on what they look like then we can futher help you

Sorry, I forgot to add what type of plug I'm using. I'm using OS 5 and 8, normally 5. And yes they look a little oily when I take them off, but I guess that's because the engine keep's Nitro inside and there's nothig to burn it because the plug is dead, so the motor is kinda flooded because of these.
Can a rich running motor kill the plug?, I've never taken any plug ashy, all of them are oily. I can clean the plug and reinstall it and the motor starts but when I take out the glower it shut off.
Thanks for the Quick reply's.

might wanna switch to a different plug try a mcoy mc 8 or mc 59

I never had good luck with os plugs... a rich setting can kill a plug, never had one killed in 5 mins of running rich tho

i run a mc59 and have no problems with them. i was having the same problem with my F4.1 and changed to the mc59 fixed the problem for me hope it helps you

Hi hot chili ram I too am suffering from this same problem. Ive ran Mcoy 5,8,9. and this is like on the begginnings of my second gallon. So I tore down the motor and cleaned it really good even used 1500 grit sand paper on the piston top(with it out of coures) and wd-40 put it all back together and it ran fine for about 1/2 gallon mabey6 to 7 tanks. now its back I know its also getting hot cuz when I run a tank dry and fill up again the fuel marches toward the tank. If you blow it back to the carb it sizzles and goes back to the tank. This is at a temp reading of 270 or so +,- 5 deg. so I knbow this has something to do with my problem. Now i cant even run one tank with out a plug going bad. so mabey you guys can kill two birds with one stone.

No there oilly to but just yesterday I went through three. the last one was like, It started and then shut off. pulled plug and the grouned part was busted off on the tip of the plug.? ? ? whats going on hear. I'm getting very frustrated I'm also useing Blue thunder fuel 30% and with what Ive heard in a few places is (its good)....(no its bad)??????????what is it. man I'm getting mad just thinking about it.lol

No and i was running lean for a while cuz it was hard to see if there was any smoke at all now IMO ive got a good trail. but I'm not a nitro engine pro. i feel I might be just so close to the sweet spot. The motor sounds good at idle and accelleration sounds good too. no poping orstuttering. just solid gain.Thats why its so frustrating cuz the motor is right there to me and I cant keep glow plugs.

idk man i have told you most of the things i know to check you will have to hope that someone else can help you sorry guys

no thats a good thought now that you mentioned that there is only one shim in the Dynamite .26 and the heat sink has a tendency to come loose. Between the shim and the top of the sleeve you can see that the explsion is poping its way out through this area. Ive locktighted this sence then. Where can youget shims new one's or can you? This was also a free motor so theres no warranty on this one....modded or not...lol

Well, I might change the plugs for the one you mentioned, but I don't think my problem are the plugs, I have something else going wrong, My truck is almost new and I never had a problem with it since one day running at sea level in the sand I killed my first plug, since then I haven't been able to run the truck for more than 5 minutes or so.
My smoke trail is a little too thick and my motor idle's fine but at WOT I think it's kinda rich cause I don't feel the power, It has power but I can't do wheelies on demand as it should. I sent the truck to a Nitro engine mechanic and he put everything together settle the engine right (At least that's what he told me), but I don't know why everytime I run the truck it's kinda rich and killing plugs. The last time I run out of plugs and too off the plug of my Savage 25 and installed it in the Savage 46 and after 5 minutes and some jumps it just died. This really suck, because I don't know what the hell is going on.
As I said before, my plugs do come out a little oily, but if I install the glower in the plug once the plug is out of the motor, it does turn on (Turns Orange) but not compleatly, the lower part stays grey or black and does not go Orange.

Thanks for the Help guys

I'm also useing Blue thunder fuel 30%

Try a different fuel!!!! I used the same fule forr 2 gallons and heard so much bad stuff about it.........I tried Trinity Monster Horsepower %20 liked it so much better than the Blue Thunder that I went up to their %30 and I like it a lot. Also I never had any luck keeping plugs in with my Blue Thunder either......My motor looks blue and it doesn;t look in the best if shape........and my new motor has 2 gallons with Trinity %30 and it looks 100x's better than my old motor that ran the trinity...

My bud Savagecre, forgot to mention that he knows something he's heard from a experienced nitro guy we both know. I'm also running a k4.6 by the way. I'm also using the same fuel as CRE, Blue Thunder 30% with no issues for some time now. If memory serves me correctly... The recommended cure (when you know your using the propper plug for your engine, and you know your fuel has been stored in a tightly sealed state when it's not being poured into your tank) is: Richen the highspeed needle / Lean the low speed needle. As simple as that. I would consider a method thats gradual in nature. By this, I mean to suggest that when you've got a new plug freshly installed, before you start the engine, richen the hsn and lean the lsn by one 1/8th turn each. Now start the engine and see what happens. Now, run the the truck and drive until it happens again. Did it take longer to foul this time? If so, than you no your on the right track. Replace the plug for a new one and do another 1/8th turn on both hsn and lsn again like before. Run the truck again like before and see if there's impovement. There should be. If needed, keep repeating these steps until your content. And remember, It's very possible to have fixxed this issue on the first attempt, Like Savagecre said earlier, there' a sweet spot you'll come to know of, as you learn to hear what your engine is reacting like. Try to listen in hear what your engine is indicating by it's behavior. Thanks Savagecre. And Site Jester is correct about the plugs. The k4.6 is a cold running mill. It likes mc-8's. I have mc-59's also, but I don't find a need for them with the k4.6 as of yet. I got them for my RS4's SS18 engine which uses a slightly hotter plug. When you think about this adjustment for this plug issue, it kind of makes sence. The lsn may be fouling the plug with unburned fuel, having been, too rich and the hsn leanness is baking on the plugs oilly build up. This subject is another thread. NOTE: I don't know how to explain this but, I think I've run, close to a gal. of fuel so far and I haven't replaced a plug yet. I think this plug at this point, has done it's duty with overkill. I would say, when you've lost count of the amount of tanks you've ran, your plug has provided a good life. And lastly, Make sure your 1 gal. fuel supply jug and quick pour fuel bottle are kept tightly sealed between tank fill ups. I say this because, NITRO METHANE HAS A VERY HIGH RATE OF EVAPORATION, and can deminish your fuels proformance quicker than your LHS can take your cash for the fuel. A depleted amount of nitro methane results to a concentration of the oils and additives in your supply. You don't want this, believe me. A well maintained fuel supply can be stored and last a long time.If you even susspect there's a quality issue in the evaporation dept.,I would replace it to be sure. I hope this helped, HotChiliRam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Doobeewhah. I will do that and I'm going to change my plugs for some 8's and try richen the hsn and lean the lsn till it get's fixed. I will post if this works or not.

Thanks Again

Members online

Back