Glow Plug Washers "Do ya have one?"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOOBEEWHA

HPISF languist expert
The other day when my msl was a walk'in, and one of my servo connections was getting fritzey, and all about the time Mr.CRE meet Harley, I rapped it up for the day with some after-run oil and noticed that my plug was missing it's washer. It may of came off at the same time I pulled the plug out but, I didn't notice it anywhere after looking for it. Question,... What are the known symptoms of a plug without it's washer? Between having to reset my carb needles due to the midrange needle being a pain, I'm not quite sure if a missing washer played a part in my tuning efforts. Thanks for any replies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think It could have much of an issue w/ tuning...BUT !!! you might wanna be on the safe side and look at the top of your piston, just to me sure the piston didn't hit the plug,that and you plug will burn out quicker.

Thankx JT.
Funny you should say, That glow plug has lasted a whole gallon now, and is STILL going strong...

What little I know about glow plug applications, I'd have to wonder if the engine likes a longer plug.

I'm using an mc8 IN SUNNY CALIFORNIA.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has definately been my longest lasting plug for sure... Oh... accept for the girl back in 98'.lol

the copper washer is designed to squeeze up, sealing the thread between head button and plug. running without a washer will maybe allow combustion pressure to pass past the plug, but maybe not, you are giving the engine less room for the expanding combustion pressure to escape into, therefore increasing power (like removing the shim(s) from the head button) but on the flipside, it will probably make the engine run a bit warmer and you may have a scorch / burn mark on the piston crown from the added heat, as i presume the plug is not hitting the piston, else you'd hear a 'clunk!' my 2c, dan

Hey Dan. thanks for the feedback. Everything you said made complete sense. I put a new washer on as soon as I noticed the missing one. I also repaired the midrange neeedle from being loose enough to walk in it's threading with some teflon tape and Green slime. (thanks Site Jester) I set the needle flush with the housing as prescribed. I wasn't positive on where to place the tape but, common-sense would suggest that I only wrap the o-ring and threaded area's leaving the fuel inlet area in the center of the needle clear of obstruction. If this is NOT correct, someone please LET ME KNOW.lol

Green slime the oring, and tape the threads. Make sure there are no little loose pieces of tape that could come free and clog up the needle. That is it really quite simple.

Members online

Back