Getting serious..Need Input on my racer.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I've been hangin' around the shoutbox a lot getting to know you guys and I think, well, KNOW this site is REALLY AWSOME!! The people here are friendly and always have time to help me out with some advice or information.
So, What I'm looking for is some input as to what I should start paying attention to and what I may need to add or remove from this truck. I paid 360 bucks for it and a crap load of parts too.

Questions for starts:
1. How often should I check the diffs.
2.If there's play at the wheels, what do I check?
3. When do I know I should replace clutch shoes?
4. How much of a difference will a digital servo make?
5. I DO, at some point want to upgrade my radio system. What should I look at getting?

I know many more question will come up as time progresses but for now that's what I can think of. Please, mention anything and everything you can to help me out and understanding. PICS are a HUGE help when explaining something as I am still getting the terms sorted out.

EDIT:
I plan on doing this!!

1. JT is going to do some frankenstein-type stuff on my truck and Mid-Tank mod it.
2. RPM arms--2* in back and 0* in front.
3. 17mm 40 Series Wabbash Wheels.
4. 40 Series Crime Fighters.
5. Heavy-Duty Diff Shafts
6. 17mm Conversion
7. IRC 23mm Adapters for 17mm Hubs

My setup is in my Sig.

ANY AND ALL INFORMATION, ADVICE, SETUP DETAILS ECT. ARE WELCOME!!

Thanks much!!!

Thor!!!:newb: :chainkiller:

Last edited by a moderator:
hey bud If you don't have a problem w/ your diff (good for you) but I would check them out like every half gallon or so.. after every run I like to take the mill out and clean it up (gets really dirty sometimes ) Also I check the shoes to make sure everything checks out I use sandpaper and scuff them up so there is no glazing on them (about changeing the shoes its a good Idea to change them like every gallon or gallon and half.. I like to when money isn't tight... About the wheels I just up graded to all heavy duty dogbones and diff cups and change out the axel cups That HELPED ALLOT
And about the other stuff your asking about I am not sure so I can't help you there bud..........

Axel cups are the ones on the arms, correct? If so, the slots on mine are gettings beat up. Also, Bearings...What do I look for with the bearings?

Welcome aboard bud! I was very active here on the forums and I have been very busy but I'm getting back on more than I was on during the past 2-4 weeks.

Personally I wouldn't go the digital servo route, it could be me. I believe it waste battery and they are really only necessary in aircrafts. Plus they are expensive. I could be wrong on all this but I went with 2 Hitec Ultra Torque 645 mg servos and man that is all anyone should need. My experiences with diffs is this, check them after every gallon, just pop it out make sure it looks fine and is doing it's job. Every month I inspect and clean my truck. My brain doesn't seem to want to think right now so as I think of things I will post them.

Personally I wouldn't go the digital servo route, it could be me. I believe it waste battery and they are really only necessary in aircrafts. Plus they are expensive. I could be wrong on all this but I went with 2 Hitec Ultra Torque 645 mg servos and man that is all anyone should need. My experiences with diffs is this, check them after every gallon, just pop it out make sure it looks fine and is doing it's job. Every month I inspect and clean my truck. My brain doesn't seem to want to think right now so as I think of things I will post them.

Alright, cool....When I look at the diffs what should I be looking for on them if there is anything wrong? How often should i change the oil?

Alright, cool....When I look at the diffs what should I be looking for on them if there is anything wrong? How often should i change the oil?

Just look for chips off the and of the inner or outer gears make sure the screws are in place. I haven't changed my diff grease in a long time. I don't see the need to but once again someone correct me if I'm wrong. I should be able to help you more tomorrow, off to bed.

a digital servo has more holding power and better re-centering ability over a non-digital. however you need radio gear which has servo end point adjustment to use them really, otherwise the move too far and burn themselves out. they return to centre perfectly each time where as a non-digital will always have a bit of slop and never quite go back to the same place. to be honest, nobody ever really notices this

unless your a competive or top racer then digital servos arent needed. as stated before hitec 645mg are good on steering, also heard the Ace servos are very highly rated

as for checking the diffs, just give each tyre a good twist by hand independantly after each run and listen to the diff. if you hear any big crunches or loud out of time clicks then thats when you should open it up and check the internals of the diff out.

diff oil, more useful in racing circumstances, change it to a mid-heavy oil for bashing and leave it really. it should not need to be changed

i wouldnt worry about your clutch shoes for a while, they should hold. if you check them just look for lots and lots of wear or big chunks missing

as for play on the wheels, check the toe links for any slop. thats where i found the problem to be on mine, the plastic rod ends become too big for the ball joints and get alot of play causing the wheels and steering to wobble without actually moving the steering

Polystyrene! Thank you for all that info, it's very helpful. I'll be sure to check it out after I get home from work later on today. What kind of clutch springs do you use, and what weight diff oil as well?

I'm running a revo just now. using 1.0 wieight clutch springs. i think i had the same in the savage

i was running 7000 weight oil in the savage for general racing. worked well for me.

I plan on doing this!!

1. JT is going to do some frankenstein-type stuff on my truck and Mid-Tank mod it.
2. RPM arms--2* in back and 0* in front.
3. 17mm 40 Series Wabbash Wheels.
4. 40 Series Crime Fighters.
5. Heavy-Duty Diff Shafts
6. 17mm Conversion
7. IRC 23mm Adapters for 17mm Hubs

Pretty dirty eh? I'm takin' it apart to clean and get ready to be shipped.

DSCF3237.jpg

DSCF3235.jpg

DSCF3232.jpg

DSCF3231.jpg

DSCF3230.jpg

This is after I cleaned it and now it's ready to be shipped.

DSCF3241.jpg

DSCF3240.jpg

Tottz - Dirts good. At least your out and running the beast. For that I list I saw, absolutely nothing wrong with it. Thinking the very same for wheel setup and IRC wheel adpaters Look bullet proof. Like the idea he wants you to use the hpi 17mm axles.

Good choices bud

Thank you Hopalong. Hey, how much lighter would you say the RPM arms are than stock?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back