Genius!! Sheer Genius!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k0m0d067

I think I may have just come up with a no-hassle, sure-fire way to easily remove sleeves from crank-cases...am going to test it today, and let you know...

next question...would people be willing to pay $15-20 for a tool to do this? not sure what my cost to make them would be, so the price is ball-park, but wanted to know if anyone would be interested...

I think I may have just come up with a no-hassle, sure-fire way to easily remove sleeves from crank-cases...am going to test it today, and let you know...

next question...would people be willing to pay $15-20 for a tool to do this? not sure what my cost to make them would be, so the price is ball-park, but wanted to know if anyone would be interested...

I would have to see it first, but after the ordeal I had, it is worth considering.

i know, cable ties aren't expensive, but so far, every cable tie I've used has sheared in half, trying to lift the sleeve out...

anyway, as an update, my first idea didn't pan out...it involved compressing a stack of rubber washers, to cause them to expand inside the sleeve (no damage to the liner :p)...but I wasn't able to compress them tightly enough (still haven't quite given up on this idea yet ;) )...my other idea won't be tried any time soon, as there's a bit more work involved...

so for those who hoped, sorry :D but if my second idea ever comes about, I'll be sure to let you know...

ive been using cable ties,best way is to get the biggest tie you can find that will fit into the ports. explain the 2nd concept someone might have some experience.

would freezing the sleeve shrink it up, that is how they do it on engines with alum. blocks, they freeze the sleeve and press it into block and it expands as it warms up naturally...just a suggestion i have yet to rebuild a nitro engine

would freezing the sleeve shrink it up, that is how they do it on engines with alum. blocks, they freeze the sleeve and press it into block and it expands as it warms up naturally...just a suggestion i have yet to rebuild a nitro engine

You want to do the exact opposite, you want to bake it and get it hot.

use a piece of 1/4" all thread, 2 nuts, 2 washers and a deep well socket that is larger than the cylinder.
one washer should be just slightly larger than your cylinder sleeve (you may have to take a little off of the diameter of the washer with a dremel)
see if you can put the rest of it together in your head

as above heat causes metals to expand. you can heat the casing or cool the liner to get out, but have not tried that way.

post a pic slot please.

use a piece of 1/4" all thread, 2 nuts, 2 washers and a deep well socket that is larger than the cylinder.
one washer should be just slightly larger than your cylinder sleeve (you may have to take a little off of the diameter of the washer with a dremel)
see if you can put the rest of it together in your head

Not sure how that would work with the engines you have to take the sleeve out before you can take the piston and con. rod out. :scratch:

take the cooling head off, heat up the crankcase with a hairdryer until its too hot to touch, then slowly pull on the pullstart, if the pinch area is tight it'll come right out, if not then try some clean cableties.

Latest posts

Members online

Back