Fxstrongside's Linkage Preference

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fx

I'm all about the little things, making even the smallest part work just right. I feel sometimes it's the things you don't see that make your truck special. Knowing that it works just right. I have noticed a few questions about linkages and how they work, how to best set them up, and so on. I took some pictures of my ofna linkage for members who are wanting to try this mod. I made mine with two ofna kits. One is really all you need but I wanted a different color combo than just blue.
http://www.smfstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_113&products_id=714
http://www.smfstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_113&products_id=857

Linkage3.jpg

Linkage2.jpg

Linkage1.jpg

Thanks guys I appreciate it.

yes thanks for the tips!! its always great to see setups that people are using and getting feedback from these products!!:10:

I'm all about the little things, making even the smallest part work just right. I feel sometimes it's the things you don't see that make your truck special. Knowing that it works just right. I have noticed a few questions about linkages and how they work, how to best set them up, and so on. I took some pictures of my ofna linkage for members who are wanting to try this mod. I made mine with two ofna kits. One is really all you need but I wanted a different color combo than just blue.
http://www.smfstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_113&products_id=714
http://www.smfstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_113&products_id=857

hey FX, I'm trying to set my linkage up and am following your pics. I'm having a little trouble bro.
I bought both linkages you posted. Here are 3 pics and when you enlarge them my questions are written on the pics. Any help is appreciated so I can get this right! Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
FX why don't you have the brake rod underneath the servo horn and the throttle on top?

Wa2ruf that is a servo horn. The plastic one will be fine for throttle brake. The Hitec website should tell you how many spline the servo is, the horns tend to have it written on them. The rod is for the throttle and should be easy to bend nicely with a pair of pliers. You can reuse the brake rod and you will also need 2 sliders.

wa2ruff you need to sliders. I recommend putting the brake on the bottom and the throttle slider should be opposite the brake one like fx has in the picture. Depending on the length of the servo horn, thats the part you asked about, you may not have to bend your throttle rod. The throttle horn may or may not fit your servo. There are a few different sizes. There should have been a spare in the kit with your truck. If you bought the ofna linkage kit though you may have to use a metal horn in order for the screw to pass through to the bottom slider. I apologize, the pics are a little blurry. But I hope this helped.

hey FX, I'm trying to set my linkage up and am following your pics. I'm having a little trouble bro.
I bought both linkages you posted. Here are 3 pics and when you enlarge them my questions are written on the pics. Any help is appreciated so I can get this right! Thanks!!

1.) Yes you need two sliders, just order a second slider no need to order a new kit.

2.) From the look of the second picture I would say neither. I use the stock savage linkage for the brake. I just put a bend in it and sanded away the black paint. The throttle linkage I used was the one that is thread on one end (you just have it if you bought the kits I listed).

3.) That servo horn will work fine. You may have to enlarge one of the hole to fit the screw through. The OFNA servo horn comes with little adapters so it should work with just about any servo.

For those of you wondering why I didn't reverse the sliders-

If I did the throttle would be on and angle and look funny (I tried). If the brake linkage was on the bottom the black thread knob (that adjusts the brakes) would hit my radio box to the point where it would bend the linkage. The bend in my break linkage isn't flimsy it doesn't budge even when I apply fully brake. If anyone wants more detailed pics just holler.

Thanks Fxstrongside, Can you post some more of your awesome detailed pics. Do you have to remove the brake arm rod completely to bend it or is removing the one end just fine ?

Now I got it. Mt, keithV and FX thanks for the explanations. FX I bought both the kits you listed, but the ofna hasn't gotten here yet. I just looked at the pic of the kit and there are 2 more sliders in there, so once it gets here I will have 3 so no need for me to order any more. I will just have to hang tight until the ofna kit arrives, then I will be in good shape. You guys info and pics are awesome, and I will post mine up here when I get it finished so you can check out my effort!

No problem wa2ruff. The other package with the 2 sliders in it is the one you need. Once you have that you will be set. The whole thing should take you about 10-15 minutes but it will make a big difference in performance.

I think I solved part of the problem with the linkage hitting the radio box with with some of the servo spacers that come in the savage kit. They lift the servo up a bit and give clearance for the break rod. I then had to trim a little off the back upper corner of X battery box (round the corner of the guard peice) so the throttle could open all the way.

hopefully that package comes tomorrow. It looks like a fairly easy task, as you say maybe 10 or 15 mins once I have the right parts. I have my new servo seated, screwed down and plugged in so all I have to do is the actual linkage. Ill refer back to your post MT if I run into the linkage hitting the radio box issue. Cross that hurdle when it comes. Ill keep everyone posted.....good lookin out guys!!

hopefully that package comes tomorrow. It looks like a fairly easy task, as you say maybe 10 or 15 mins once I have the right parts. I have my new servo seated, screwed down and plugged in so all I have to do is the actual linkage. Ill refer back to your post MT if I run into the linkage hitting the radio box issue. Cross that hurdle when it comes. Ill keep everyone posted.....good lookin out guys!!

It should be a very quick job but you can still run into problems. I had to go to the hardware store to get a longer screw.

If the linkage rods are hitting the radio box, then a longer servo horn would solve the problem easier then shaving the box.

If the linkage rods are hitting the radio box, then a longer servo horn would solve the problem easier then shaving the box.
I used the horn that came with the ofna kit. It's not a major modification. If I had a camera (it's been "borrowed" :stressed:) i'd take a pic.

It's really just my personal preference keith. One OFNA kit one millions ways to assemble it.

Thanks Fxstrongside, Can you post some more of your awesome detailed pics. Do you have to remove the brake arm rod completely to bend it or is removing the one end just fine ?

Are there certain parts you would like me focus on more? Or do you just want lots of pics?

Yes FX very true..
Thats why I love this forum. So many people with so many ideas you can learn something new here everyday.

I was looking into making this mod, and I was curious who the manufacturer of the RTR radio gear was. It looks like a Futaba radio to me, but obviously it is branded HPI, so I guess the real question is: What style servo horn do I need?

Also, how do I know if the holes on the servo horn are big enough for the screw in the Ofna kit? Should I just buy the aluminum Ofna universal servo horn and call it a day? I feel like the universal horn that use the inside plastic adapters would just not be as strong as using an aluminum one without an adapter, but I could be wrong...? Thanks!

I used the aluminum servo horn for ease, but you can just drill out the hole in the plastic horn. As for the radio, I read somewhere it was made by futaba, but when I contacted futaba with a question they said they don't make the hpi radios airtronics does. So really not sure who makes them, but a I think the JR compatible servo horn should fit. The ofna horn comes with plastic adapters to fit all the servos though.

Thanks largely to this thread, I put my own Ofna linkage together today. While I was buying the Ofna linkage and sliders, I saw a pair of Great Planes 2-56 clevis rods. They turned out to fit the stock throttle and brake levers perfectly.
ofna018nc2.jpg

After measuring the servo horn on the Ofna kit, I decided it was too short for the throttle rod/slider to clear. So I ran to the hobby store and got a Hangar 9 arm. It was Futaba splined, so I just used my old HPI steering servo. I also picked up a longer screw at the hobby store to allow me to stack the sliders.
ofna017du0.jpg

After that, I superglued the threads on the clevises so the linkages wouldn't rotate, and bent the rods to clear the rollbar and properly reach the brake rod. Thanks to the longer servo arm, the radio box clears the linkage with no problem. Here's a few finished pics:
ofna001uw7.jpg

ofna013zc6.jpg

ofna012jq8.jpg

Thanks again FX and everyone else. I can't wait to try this out!
-Greg

That is a very well done linkage you did a great job.

Latest posts

Members online

Back