frddyj's New Ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frddyj

A couple of weeks ago i was trying to bash & couldn't get my mill to stay running (a stocker f4.6) & became very frustrated. here is what it looked like that day:
14438l3.jpg

A week before i got the rtr kit, i had stumbled across hpisf & learned a ton. the amount of knowledge that someone can get from you guys is insane. in fact, after my rebuild (without touching any settings) my mill that wouldn't run a couple of weeks before fired right up and, although very rich, ran through the whole tank without dying out. Here is how it looks now:
ddjs7n.jpg

My next phase plan is to give it some power, Picco P3, 3-speed tranny, Cen diffs, etc & of course, bash the snots out of it. So, thanks for the help, love the forum, great bunch of r/c maniacs!!!!evil clown

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good man.. now take some pics of it all bashed up. :)

Looks good man!!! Can we get a pic without the body, that is after we have seen some action pics! I am not really a Ford fan, no offense to you but I LOVE that body for some reason...

Jeremy: I can tell you how much $$ i spent only if you promise not to tell my wife..j/k, she bought me the rtr kit for my b-day & it looks like i spent a ton of cash until you take off the lid. The zombie/maximizer/proline foam set up was an investment, but well, well worth it & then there is the flm lcg tvp that was the 2nd expensive upgrade, but well worth it also.
S/L & Whip:here are some photos of it without the body:
jkkldg.jpg

2ug02kz.jpg

ad18jk.jpg

not too interesting & mostly stock, but i am saving up for a killer mill, then some cen diffs, radio equip & suspension upgrades, but those will happen over time as i can save up for them.
I did some other small mods, like the ofna linkage (which is killer) and the new steering bearings which made a huge improvement. You can see 1 new bearing installed on the right & the plastic spacer that it replaces on the left before i put the bearing in. also, you can see the flm steering link in this photo:
sop8yg.jpg

HPI_Savage25 I'm not a die-hard ford or chev man myself & i loved the body that came with my rtr & actually bought an unfinished body on ebay to repaint but it didn't look right when i extended the chassis. i didn't like the look of the f-150 or f-250 bodies either, but this one was long enough & looked a little different so i grabbed it. hopefully the rain will stop at some point so i can get it dirty & bash it today.
So far, i'm amazed at how different it runs now that i got the new tank on there. I can see now how bad my fuel/air mix was with the stock tank & it was nearly impossible to keep tuned. Not any more! freddy

So we going to bash your back yard Saturday? Don't say no. Ill be there for noon time... I'll bring a extra steering servo caz by 2 PM that one will be done.

wow looking great my friend!!! as far as the wife goes "IT'S MIND OVER MATTER!! IF SHE don't MIND, IT don't MATTER!! LMAO GLAD WE COULD HELP YOU A BIT!!

Bank, that is cool. I'm on 24 hr call this weekend sat & sun, but lets' hook for the w/e after so i can put a plan together & i should have my new steer servo & hopefully picco by then. but, we need to plan a better bash location bcuz my whole yard is 100' x 100'. They don't give you much land down here with your house

You don't need to tell me that!
If you want to meet in Lancaster just off Rt 2 there is a pit I have access too. Central mass sand and gravel. 70 + acres of drop offs and fire roads 100 ft hill climbs you name it. But if you need to stay closer to your neck of the woods we'll figure it out. Do you have a good camcorder? I don't I have one but low quality. I have a SLR for pics though. I need to get some tape up for the guys... Ill bring all the Extras you focus on the build...

And Very nice build for sure. Don't rush the P3 you will want to run that in right. Ill let you beet my Novarossi. Its just about run in now. Keep the F for a bit longer...

Frddjy very nice build. I am getting ready to do the mid tank mod to my savage and i have a few questions for you. Can tell me where you got the Mugen tank and does it come with the hardware to install it. And the Cen battery box, and the linkage for your steering servo..

Frddjy very nice build. I am getting ready to do the mid tank mod to my savage and i have a few questions for you. Can tell me where you got the Mugen tank and does it come with the hardware to install it. And the Cen battery box, and the linkage for your steering servo..

thanks for the kind word newb, i got the mugen tank from ebay & yes, it came with the hardware to install. i got the cen battery box from amainhobbies & if you want, i will look up the part # and send the info along. i got the link from my LHS, it was an ofna.

my steer servo was mounted incorrectly in that pic. first time i met bank he :slapped: showed me how to mount to the tvp. so i was able to use the stock steering link & less stress on the servo & linkage

i like the ofna 250cc tank; your sav will run a long time. if you want to get a great set up & all the parts you need in 1 shot, read this thread & pm Jason for --> https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7604

a buddie of mine just got this kit & loved it

thanks for the kind word newb, i got the mugen tank from ebay & yes, it came with the hardware to install. i got the cen battery box from amainhobbies & if you want, i will look up the part # and send the info along. i got the link from my LHS, it was an ofna.

do not mount your servo like i did in that pic. i deleted the pic because it is wrong. first time i met bankrupter he saw that & said :cussing: & then :slapped: and showed me how to mount correctly to the tvp. mounting this way, you use the stock steering link & put a pic in here later.

i highly recommend the ofna 250cc tank; your sav will run a long time. if you want to get an awesome set up & get all the parts you need in 1 shot, read this thread & pm Jason for a price --> https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7604

Thanks for your help frddjy, will let u no..

nice truck freddy I'm not sure why i missed this thread. but nice truck (all it needs now is the motor hanging out the side lol)

tru dat!, been thinking the same since you started that build

looks ****ing sweet woops wrong site :duh: ;) ;)

nice truck man cant wait to see it in person.

** Update **

ok 6 months, several dollars & a lot of help from my hpisf buds later, i have some updates to my savage: Big bore shocks, cen diffs, XL dogbone conversion kit, 250cc OFNA tank, Picco .28, HPI RSC, dynamite 086 pipe, Futaba 3pm, motor saver filter, 3 speed tranny, Nova clutch shoes w/ Mugen Springs and prob some other stuff i cant think of right now, here is my savy as it is today:

special thanks to bankrupter, crash, j-cam and others who have helped me build my savage & feed my addiction. Need to get time to adjust my RSC so i have negative camber, shim my tranny so the mill doesnt blow it to smithereens and finish run in & i will make a vid. Planning to add some Carbon Fiber parts from Larz as my next upgrades. Got very lucky by saving the cash for these upgrades before the economy fell apart.

Thats a great looking truck Fred

:resp:

lookin good freddy, amazing what some time and money does. just fix those wheels!

That truck is amazing.. I've copied both YOU and Banks, but they are some sweet looking trucks :)

Looks great how long of run times do you see with the tank? Just order the same one along with some fastlane tvp's can't wait! O and are those battery boxes the best way to go? I don't like the way the one hangs off to the side is there another way to do that?

With those tanks I think its about 15-20 mins run-time, maybe more... The battery box mounted in the front like that is a really neat and effective way to mount it. Adds a little more stability to the truck, you still need that RPM receiver box on the side of the tvp.. but it's extremely sturdy and I wouldn't be to concerned with that... I'm sure frddy will chime in.

Ok so about what I was thinking. Is there an alternative from the rpm reciver box? Some thing like put the rec up front and zip tie a flat pack on the inside of the tvp or would that not be a good idea?

Well, we have the largest tank you can get.. If you get a smaller tank, like the mugen or hellfire tank I believe there is room for the receiver up front.. I don't have much experience with that, but if you check out the mid tank forum there is a whole section of all different mid tank builds.. Hope that helps

hey nice truck (engines still standing up right lol) it is a sweet ride.

Latest posts

Members online

Back