Flux XL spur/slipper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeroyX

Anyone out there found a way to convert the new dual slipper spur gear set up that is unique to the new flux XL back to the standard flux spur slipper? I have the dual slipper/ spur assembly coming in for my build but I don't like the idea of it being unique to this truck and very hard to find should I need a new spur gear or pads for that matter later on.

That shaft appears to be unique to the Flux XL.
https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/116359?show_disc=true

Looking at the two assemblies though, it appears perhaps the only difference between the double slipper and the standard is length and spacers.

Flux XL:

upload_2017-10-3_14-10-8.png

Flux HP:

upload_2017-10-3_14-11-29.png

It's possible the Flux HP stuff can be directly swapped into a Flux XL.

If you give it a shot, make sure to post up anything you find.

The regular flux shaft as an area that is milled down about 1mm that the spur fits on and it's not on the flux XL shaft. I took both the new XL trans and old style flux/4.6/5.9 trans apart to try and change the shafts around and you can get the gears to line up inside using the spacers but there is not enough shaft sticking out of the case to attach a spur gear. The new case is a totally different shape. In a long shot I have the upper shaft from an octane coming to see If it will work with the old slipper set up.

I wonder if HPI has even sold any new flux XL's, sure pretty quiet out there for info on them especially since they actually did quite an update on it with the new extra low COG. I don't think too many people are even aware that there is so much changed on it compared to the regular Flux. I'm looking forward to trying it out, the low stance is pretty cool looking for a savage.

As soon as I have it all buttoned up I'll post all the pics and a bit of a write up in my pots in the build section.
Pics or it never happened :D
As soon as I have it all buttoned up I'll post all the pics and a bit of a write up in my post in the build section.

Just an update here, I ordered and received the upper shaft from a savage octane the other day. It will fit the flux xl centre gear box gears and spacers and fit back together ok. You can also fit the standard plastic spur gears from the rest of the savage line up. The problem is there is not enough room for the spring on the slipper set up. I guess this really isn’t a huge issue since I usually just lock the spring down fully tight anyway. not having it and tightening the nut all the way is the same thing.

I haven’t run it yet, just tried it out to see if it would all fit and it does. One other thing, Since the smallest plastic spur is 47t (I think) which is quite a bit bigger than The flux xl standard spur 43t modification will be needed to get it to clear the battery box.

You did all that work just to lock the clutch out completely?
I did all that because I wanted to figure out a way to run the plastic spur gears on the the new XL centre gear box. I still haven’t been able to although I haven’t really put much more effort into it since the new XL slipper/spur is rock solid. Down side is there is only one spur gear currently available so pinion changes are the only option.

Latest posts

Members online

Back