Flm tranny forward nitro build opinions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tominator06

Hey guys, what do you think about taking an flm tranny forward brushless conversion and installing a nitro engine? I know I would have to make a custom motor plate but and a few other parts. Fuel tank would be behind the engine. Wonder how the balance would be? Just curious of others opinions on this.

unless youre going after the different look, youd prob save a few bucks & time chasin/moddin parts ba going flm nitro parts & mid tank.

but youd have a pretty unique build on your hands if you go this route.

Yeah I was just testing the waters with my idea. I've had lots of time on my hands and was thinking this may be a decent setup with the motor and tranny moved forward. Fabrication of the misc small parts is not a problem as I work in a metal shop. Who knows.

i think it would be a cool truck expesially if you wanted to do some pulling with it. i don't think it would be a good jumper tho as all the wieght would be over the front of the truck. it would probably power slide nice on pavement tho. the only prob i see would be the exhaust or how to run the exhaust

Not sure man. I wouldn't rely on the fuel tank as any sort of weight balancer though, since it wouldn't weigh anything towards the end of your run.

The mid engine would suck for starting (pull or roto), getting a glow starter on it, or swapping plugs, everything would have to be with the body off.

Looks like a regular FLM motor plate will go right in. Only fabricating would be a plate for the tank. The TVPs are already drilled for chassis braces across the back so a simple flat plate would do the trick, just like a forward mid tank (only in this case the tank would be significantly lower).

I have a FLM forward conversion that I used in a electric conversion on my savage. BUt, then I wanted to go back to nitro and thinking the same thing.

I was thinking of being able to make a universal plate so I could go back and fourth from nitro and electric.

The only real issue is where the tank could go. Yes the tank could go behind the rear of the engine but, I don't see it working very good under excleration. To solve that you could put in some kind of pump. "I know the airplane guys run pumps because their engines and tanks are always mount in strange positions. You could also run a "FLAT Tank" from a airplane or boat. You would loose the ability to pour the fuel in the tank with a fuel bottle. You would have to buy a electric or hand pump to move fuel from the fuel jug to the on broad fuel tank.

Other than that the chassis would hold up fine. The drive shafts a just massive in size. When I had mine together I even thought it would work great as a puller.

FYI The space between where the engine and left side of the frame is big enough for a 6C LiPo. Without out measurement it is about 2 inches eye balling it.

I didn't keep that chassis because I like how the stock short chassis acted. ALso the FLM has less ground clearance than the stock one did.

Latest posts

Members online

Back