First Body Paint Job In About 25 yrs!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVT73

Man, it's been awhile! Trying out this Bitty Design liquid mask, I hated it a first because I always used masking tape but, now after using it I don't know how I got along with out it.

Bitty Design Liquid Mask cut & prep
IMG_0094.JPG
Spaz Stix Candy Orange-3 coats
IMG_0096.JPG
Spaz Stix Candy Backer Silver-2 coats
IMG_0097.JPG
Spaz Stix Ultimate Black Backer-1 coats
IMG_0098.JPG
Removed the mask for the next color
IMG_0099.JPG
IMG_0100.JPG

That's as far as I could get tonight, will continue to post my progress.

Last edited:
I love that orange color and want to paint a body in the same color. Looking forward to the finished results @JVT73

Nice work, I'm got a scaler body that's going to be my first time at painting. I have liquid masked it because I don't want any chance of runs under the tape. I never had the best luck with tape on the models I did.

Nice work, I'm got a scaler body that's going to be my first time at painting. I have liquid masked it because I don't want any chance of runs under the tape. I never had the best luck with tape on the models I did.
Be sure to have a new blade on you xacto knife and cut through the mask. Also peal it off very carefully, if not cut clear through you will lift an edge giving a place for the paint to run under. It happened to me on this body. See pic.
IMG_0101.JPG

Part 2
Spaz Stix candy black -2 coats, Spaz Stix silver candy backer -2 coats, Spaz Stix Ultimate Chrome 3 dry coats total. This is the first coat.
IMG_0103.JPG
Spaz Ultimate Chrome -2 wet coats. Everything backed by Spaz Stix Black Chrome backer- 1 coat, window mask removed
IMG_0111.JPG
Exterior mask removed, check out that Spaz chrome, you can see me taking a pic with the old iPad. This chrome is the best.
IMG_0112.JPG
Mounted, back. Check that effect out!
IMG_0116.JPG
Mounted, front
IMG_0118.JPG
Oh, yeh
IMG_0119.JPG
Looking at that Black candy backed by Silver then Black, it looks like you can dip your hand through it. Very liquid & deep!
IMG_0121.JPG
The pics don't give it justice.
IMG_0125.JPG
Couple mistakes at the seams but all in all I think it came out well.
IMG_0126.JPG
The mask & paint
IMG_0110.JPG

Now on to stickering this thing out! Just a tip & a very valuable one...stickers break up the two tone as well as make your Savage go faster!!!...✌️

Last edited:
Reactions: GAJ
Part 3- All stickered out, thinking I'll also add a Parma off road sponsor pack. Also, with adding the Chrome, I took the liberty to customize the HPI body decals.
IMG_0132.JPG IMG_0134.JPG IMG_0136.JPG IMG_0139.JPG IMG_0141.JPG
And...boom, representing with the Hornady bumper sticker. I cut it off a promo sticker.
IMG_0145.JPG

What are wet coats / dry coats?? What is the difference?
Dry coats are light spray, not applied to completely cover the area you are painting in one pass. So, this is how I do a dry coat- I usually spray from left to right( I'm right handed) or what ever makes sense for the area you are painting. Left to right, one coat then let sit for 10 min & repeat. With the chrome I think I did three or four dry coats. Wet coat- I hold the spray nozzle depressed and bring the spray stream into the are at about 6 - 8 inches from the surface and continuously coat back and forth until I have complete coverage. Let sit for 10 - 15 min and repeat. This does take practice and there is more than one way to do what is referred to as dry and wet coats. Practice goes along way when it comes to laying down paint. I would say that the speed at which you make the passes is of the highest importance along with the amount of passes made for each coat. Every thing else is personal preference. A dry coat pass is faster, on with the spray then off let sit. Wet pass a little slower, on with the spray and make multiple passes until covered then off let sit. I'll also state that it is my experience that the chrome paint likes lower humidity. This body was sprayed at 60 deg @ approx. 50 % humidity. The higher the humidity the duller the chrome. I sprayed a test piece of Lexan cut from this body on a 76 deg day at approx. 86 % humidity and the same chrome spray paint looked like aluminum paint(dull). Hope this helps.

Been a long time since I used spray cans... ;) been airbrushing all my stuff for years but the same principal using dry (light) coats, then use wet coats (heavier spray) to do the same thing...
I use Alclad chrome paint, it shines just like chrome does and as long as you apply it right it lasts and lasts without turning to aluminum look....

I painted that stuff there over 4 years ago and it still shines to this day and I aint easy on bashing my trucks :lmao:

Been a long time since I used spray cans... ;) been airbrushing all my stuff for years but the same principal using dry (light) coats, then use wet coats (heavier spray) to do the same thing...
I use Alclad chrome paint, it shines just like chrome does and as long as you apply it right it lasts and lasts without turning to aluminum look....

I painted that stuff there over 4 years ago and it still shines to this day and I aint easy on bashing my trucks :lmao:
That's a nice looking Ford, my next body all trimmed out is the F-250 pro-line body. I just picked up a Iwata air brush a couple weeks ago & I am still acquiring all the other components. I'll need some tips from you on the use of the air brush, hopefully it comes natural to me. It will be a new experience.

@JVT73 that body turned out great man, nicely done! Now you just need to get a new set of wheels and tires to match that good looking paint job. :D

@JVT73 that body turned out great man, nicely done! Now you just need to get a new set of wheels and tires to match that good looking paint job. :D
Thanks, it looks even better in the sun. I really like the candy colors. As for the Rims & Tires I'm still working on completing a good set for the truck.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back