Finally Basher 2 now complete, Now to see if it runs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazzman

Well finally court Covid so sitting at home for a week bored stiff. So what better way to spend my time than try to finish my 2nd savage basher, well it is now a complete truck, not fired the mill up that's if it fires up at all. This rig has been made up from everything I won't normally use on my trucks and had cast a side in my parts box. The only new parts i have had to buy for it were the receiver, battery hump & a 35kg steering servo, so not to bad.
The mill is an old Thunder Tiger pro-28 BX-R from a TT MTA4-S28, it has seen alot better days and has alot of parts in it that ani't standard. Sometime in its life it got changed from a pro-28DB-R mill to a pro-28BX-R. The engines are the same but have different starter shafts in them with the DB-R having 2 OWBs, one inside & 1 outside the engine, the BX-R only has the outer one. But some how this mill only got half the parts needed for the conversion, it is fitted with a K5.9 backplate which don't fit to good but works. The carb looked like it had been in the sea for 10 years then driven over by a dump truck so have put on another TT carb which looks to be the same, have no clue on needle settings for it so have just ball-parked it. The inner crank bearing was seized but have managed to get it free and working good, spins nice and quiet. But on the plus side it has good compression, so fingers crossed. Only downside is that I have run out of rotostart units so it has a god awful pull-start on it. Will see if I can get it started later today, not all that hopeful but not like I got anything better to do at the moment. And on another plus, it has occupied 2 days of my quarantine. Anyway here she is in all her glory. LOL. Not.1676380169509.jpeg1676380319025.jpeg1676380538360.jpeg1676380387540.jpeg1676380408378.jpeg1676380452117.jpeg

Last edited:
Well bugger me, it runs. Wasted 2 glow plugs before I realised that it wasn't getting any fuel into the engine. LSN was in to many turns, like I said have no base setting for this mill and ask as I did no one came forward with any answers. Had the needles set flush as most mills but this ani't the case with these mills it would seem. Although the carb I am using is not meant for this engine it is from a Pro28 so the needle sizes should be the same. Anyway the thing fired up and run pretty good for a 1st start considering the state of it when I started. Didn't seize or self destruct which is always a good thing. Looks like the mod I did inside the engine works well but you can screw these pull starts, at my age I need rotostart. LOL. Having Covid at the moment didn't help either, felt like I had done a 10K run after pulling on this thing for 5 minutes. Anyway looks like there is hope for this old shed yet.
I do love it when you can get an old turd going again, so satisfying to see 2 days of labour come together.
God I hate nitro but when it's good, it's good.👍😉

She’s smoking good job Gazzman!
Crap you have covid mate but glad you have your savages to pass the time with, Lol!
Have you got any symptoms with it?

Hi mate, symptoms ok, just feels like having a head cold but a big lack of energy, feel like an old man, Oh I forgot I am, LOL. Felt worse mate after a skin full of Cider so yer Ok thanks.
As for the truck, well it ani't all that, Gob-smacked that the engine ran, it really was a piece of shite & to be honest still is and will always be, to far gone to be worth doing anything proper with. It's a real shame as has a good piston & sleeve in it just everything else is toast. Busted the pull-start when I tried to restart it so have pulled the motor back out and switched it for another, god I hate pull starts, not designed for apes like me. But this thing does have some mega compression. When I pulled the motor you could see that it is leaking from the lashed up backplate. Have removed 1 of the shims and replaced it with an O ring, will slow the leak for a while but really this mill needs the right backplate to work right and the only 1 I can find is in Canada and personally I don't think this mill is worth shipping it over. It only made 2.40hp new, you get 2.3hp out of a stock Savage S25. Can get 2.7hp from a Force R28. Just fancied something different, already got a Force R28 & R32 don't want a R36 due to the juice you burn.
Think I have finally got the base carb setting for this thing now so tomorrow will have another go at starting it. The settings are mad compared to all my other mills. Have ordered a roto start from BSP so should have that in a couple of days.
Still got the rest of the week to kill so will keep meshing around with it. you never know may blow it up yet.😜🤪

Nice RIG, sorry to hear ya got that damn covid crap, get well soon so you can bash that thing, I wanna see it down and dirty :eyes:
Thanks Jamo, yer it gets us all in the end mate, avoided it up till now, thought I was bulletproof but like I said to Guinnessdublin have felt worse after a skin full of tramp juice so not stopping me much. As for taking the trucks out well I don't contact with anyone so will probably get a couple out over the next few days as the weather is now improving. 👌

So switch the pull start last night so once the neighbours went off to work this morning gave the old pro28 another go. So preheated the head and it fired up on the 2nd pull, runs really good all thing considered but can't seem to keep it running once I move the ignitor. Like I have said it has good compression still even when hot, runs lovely with the ignitor on it, revs well drops back to idle nice and quick, doesn't seem to be running to rich and running a No3 medium/warm plug. Have since changed the plug to a No4 hot but haven't retested it yet as I don't think that is the issue.
Anyone got any ideas what maybe causing it to die when ignitor is removed, everything is telling me it's the plug not hot enough as it runs really great when plugged in and had it running for a good 10 minutes to use the fuel in the tank up. The 2 times I removed the ignitor and it died instantly even if I had the revs up abit. But starts up 1st plug each time. Engine seems to be running at a constant 220-230°F.
So come on folks, throw your suggestion at me, don't matter how crazy they might seem.

https://www.rogershobbycenter.com/allaboutglowplugs

depending on nitro content and other factors the heat range is something worth playing around with....
Yep that all makes sense Jam but if it runs ok with the ignitor plugged in and not if it out and the fuel mixture and pressure in the cylinder are the same in both cases the only thing that has changed is the temperature of the element in the plug. A colder plug would have the same effect as reducing the voltage to the plug which in turn would make the temperature of the plug element colder. When I remove the ignitor the temperature of the element drops to the point it won't cause combustion which is what a colder plug would do.

Yep that all makes sense Jam but if it runs ok with the ignitor plugged in and not if it out and the fuel mixture and pressure in the cylinder are the same in both cases the only thing that has changed is the temperature of the element in the plug. A colder plug would have the same effect as reducing the voltage to the plug which in turn would make the temperature of the plug element colder. When I remove the ignitor the temperature of the element drops to the point it won't cause combustion which is what a colder plug would do.

I dunno, was just suggesting an option, I once had a Losi LST owned by a friend, that thing gave me fits, engine would run on the bench and once put on the ground it would die and refuse to restart until it was room temps again, I played around with it for a month on and off trying to figure out what the hell was wrong, used up a gallon of good fuel with that POS, never did figure out what was wrong, I took the engine down to pieces, removed everything, the carb and all O Rings was checked and found to be ok, put it together and sealed everything with rtv, still would refuse to run on the ground, the drivetrain was all great and no binding anywhere, just on a whim I installed a spare engine I had and it ran perfectly fine, ran around and bashed, jumped and ran great, never did find out what was wrong, a manufacturing defect or something... my buddy ended up buying a new engine and we put it in and he ran the crap outta the rig... guess some engine just don't want to run, he asked if I wanted the engine I told him no thanks it is a paperweight....

I dunno, was just suggesting an option, I once had a Losi LST owned by a friend, that thing gave me fits, engine would run on the bench and once put on the ground it would die and refuse to restart until it was room temps again, I played around with it for a month on and off trying to figure out what the hell was wrong, used up a gallon of good fuel with that POS, never did figure out what was wrong, I took the engine down to pieces, removed everything, the carb and all O Rings was checked and found to be ok, put it together and sealed everything with rtv, still would refuse to run on the ground, the drivetrain was all great and no binding anywhere, just on a whim I installed a spare engine I had and it ran perfectly fine, ran around and bashed, jumped and ran great, never did find out what was wrong, a manufacturing defect or something... my buddy ended up buying a new engine and we put it in and he ran the crap outta the rig... guess some engine just don't want to run, he asked if I wanted the engine I told him no thanks it is a paperweight....
Well like I said Jam, this mill was a basket case when I got it. Guy I got it off must have seen me coming, anyway on a plus got 1/2 my money back from him today so in the end has set me back £20 plus my time pratting with it, which ain't no loss and I do love to fiddle with these thing. He swears blind it was a good running mill but like I said had seized bearing, wrong starter shaft and backplate and was bone dry inside, HSN was missing to, it hadn't been run for years. So amazed that it is running as well as it is, never expected to even get it to start at all. Worst case scenario is I will tape an ignitor to it and just run it till it destroys itself. Haven't had a good engine explosion for awhile now.😜🤪😁

So sorted the diff issues out on Basher 1 tonight, So tomorrow it's on to Basher 2. Will see if it runs any better with a hot plug in its arse. This is its last chance to come good. If it still is a no hoper after this, then well it's time for the purchase of yet another new mill. Got plenty of Force mills and stock HPI ones, so give me your recommendations on what I should put on this Savage. 👍

Last edited:
So finally got it to run without the ignitor in it. Looks like although the plugs which I was trying in it were new there must have been an issue with them. Put the ignitor on the truck this morning with the new N04 hot plug in it and before I even got around to trying to start it noticed the plug died as the meter on the ignitor suddenly went from 1.5 to 0 volts. Anyway went out and bought 3 new plugs, 1 a Firepower F4 cool, 1 an OS no8 medium & an OS LC3 hot. Put the Firepower F4 cool plug in and it fired straight up and run without the ignitor. The OS#8 is what is recommended for this mill according to TT but is running well on the Firepower cool plug.
The plugs which had the issues were all HSP brand, have had this happen on a couple of my other truck, were the plug died as so as the ignitor was attached, these to were HSP ones. So I think from now on I won't be buying anymore of them. Worth paying a little more for a decent brand me think. Plus when you bang plugs out like this they don't work out that cheap in the end. Yet another lesson learnt.👌👍🆒

Well glad you got it sorted by the sounds of it mate! 👍🏻
You were singing those plugs praises last summer to me if I remember right, glad i didn’t place order now,Lol! 😂

Well glad you got it sorted by the sounds of it mate! 👍🏻
You were singing those plugs praises last summer to me if I remember right, glad i didn’t place order now,Lol! 😂
LOL, yes mate. Well they worked & are still working great in all my other trucks which run the HPI & Force mills. Just think the last batch I bought were bad. Bought 4 of these plugs a few months back to to replenish my stock & it is these plugs that have let me down. Maybe just a bad batch but not going to use them anymore.
This TT pro28 mill actually run quite well for a mill that I didn't expect to run at all considering how bad it was when I got it and the fact that everything from the crank to the rear of the motor is from different engines and missing one of it's OWBs and using a milled down K5.9 back[plate just to get the rotostart OWB to fit. So should really count my blessings. But you know me, I like a challenging and don't like to be beaten. Once a mechanic always a mechanic, technology might progress but a combustion engine will always be a combustion engine, the basics always stay the same.

Sounds like it’s running fine to me mate!
Blame the plugs batch on covid! 😂🤣
Yep sounds good to me as well bud. Of cause not had it off the bench yet for a proper test but if the weather is good tomorrow and I feel up to it might take it up the park and see just what's what. I just love it when you can get a basket case like this was running again. Man if you could have seen this engine when I 1st got it, you would have thrown it in the bin, it was really that bad.
Also another plus is that I have seemed to cure most of the leaking without using any slime or sealer. Expect it is leaking from the brass bush in the backplate a bit as they all do but no sign of anything major.👌👌
Will still need to tune the motor once I do take it out but don't think it's to far off.

Last edited:
Yes I can imagine the state of it mate & agree you do get a kick when it fires up, can’t get that from electric it either works or it doesn’t! Lol.

Can’t wait to get mine fired back up again as haven’t even heard what that new tsais pipe sounds like & to check out my Sky rc gadget.
Needs to be slightly warmer & dryer for me though, Lol

Can’t wait to get mine fired back up again as haven’t even heard what that new tsais pipe sounds like & to check out my Sky rc gadget.
Needs to be slightly warmer & dryer for me though, Lol
Can't believe you haven't fired it up since you put that pipe on mate, Me I would have had to start it just to hear what it sounded like. 👌

Gazzman, even your basher looks awesome. Sorry to hear you got the crud. I've been trying to avoid people, because I had both knees replaced this summer and don't want the crud on top of my surgery recover!!​

Of cause it will bud, These Tsais pipe sound awesome, the one I have like yours I love the sound of it, there other one mind you is a wee bit on the loud side but still sounds great.👍

Gazzman, even your basher looks awesome. Sorry to hear you got the crud. I've been trying to avoid people, because I had both knees replaced this summer and don't want the crud on top of my surgery recover!!​

Thanks Savage59, I do like a clean truck even if it's just a basher. As for the covid well for someone that is meant to be on the at risk list due to that fact that I have had a double heart bypass and more recently been hold that I am Diabetic the only symptoms I had was a runny nose & a slight headache, so counting my self lucky.

Latest posts

Members online

Back