Ez start conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigrayzrc

Is it possible to run an traxxas ez start on a savage? It's an older savage with a 21 bb but I'll probably throw a 4.6 on it in the future. Thanks!

Is it possible to run an traxxas ez start on a savage? It's an older savage with a 21 bb but I'll probably throw a 4.6 on it in the future. Thanks!
The only problem with putting a Traxxas ez-start on a savage is the fuel tank is in the same place as the starter would fit. You would have to move the tank away from the engine by changing the tank mountings. You could probably fit some from another model or just fabricate your own. The only problem with doing this is that the body shell then wouldn't sit over the tank very well.

Last edited:
Yes it does mate I want one,Lol!
He has a savage also which he tells me he is also going to rig one upto & try out in coming weeks! 👍🏻

Yes nice mod but like I said before, the starter occupies the same area as the fuel tank so would need to change the tank as RC4ME.US states. But to be honest these mounts for the REVO tank look very breakable to me.

Yes agree don’t know how strong 3D printed stuff is?
Can you not fit this wolunstart motor to either left or right hand side?

You could raise the tank but the Savage nitro is top heavy to begin with, so raising the tank would make matters worse. A mid mounted tank at the front would be the best way to go. Have seen photos on here were people have used a fuel tank and radio box from a Cen truck,
1679638083930.jpeg1679638100602.jpeg1679638119885.jpeg

With us all going for a more lowered truggy stance with our builds these days do you think placing tank at most 1 1/2” higher up in original position would effect things that much though?

Moving the tank up won't help with the roll of the savage. A full tank 160ml of fuel weighs in at 182g or 6.4oz which is quite alot of weight, also if you raise the tank you will need to raise the bodyshell as well which moves the centre of gravity even higher. another thing to note is that if you raise the tank on its standard mounts the throttle bell crank fouls the front mount. I have a set of tank extensions which raise it by around 20mm and that was the problem I came up against. Anything in this hobby is possible but you have to ask yourself is it worth it to do the same job that the roto start does. Ok so you don't need to carry the roto start around with you but you will need to have a beefy hump pack in the radio box or a 2nd battery on the truck to run the easy start & the glow plug, and if you go down the route of using the easy start the way it is meant to be used you will still need to carry the battery pack with you as you would the roto start. Then there's the added weight of it all and these truck seem to put on weight with every upgrade you do to them.
Most trucks are buggy based with the engine/ gearbox/ radio box & fuel tank sitting alot lower than a savage, The Savage is a great bash truck due to its twin vertical chassis which gives it a lot of strength but this comes at a cost to the handling caused by the high centre of gravity. The flux doesn't suffer from this as much as all the weight is lower down. It's a well known fact that the flux savages will piss all over a nitro when it comes to handling.
This is just my 6 eggs worth.😉

Could not of said & come round to the same conclusion like wise my friend!
Like you say if mill is running true then no real hassle using rota start! 👍🏻

Could not of said & come round to the same conclusion like wise my friend!
Like you say if mill is running true then no real hassle using rota start! 👍🏻
Like I said bud, this is just my take on it, looked at this idea about a year ago now and asked myself the same question. Yes I would like it but do I really need it, No.
Like you said in your previous post, if the mill is tuned & setup right the roto start works good. All 13 of my engines use roto starts. they include K5.9s, F5.9s, F5.2s, K4.6ho s, F4.6s, s25s & a TT pro28. The roto starts I use on most of my mills are cheap HSP units and not one has failed yet.
There is nothing wrong with a pull start so long as your not a hand fisted ape like me and don't mind blisters on your hands.

I’m looking for a starter system for my big red .21 just like this one in the video
I would rather have a rotostart on my big block engines, either tiger drive or HPI units work really well for me, and as stated above if using an onboard start system you are still going to provide it with some sort of battery to make it all work....

I found it on aliexpress, but your going to want to roll your own esc and glow igniter because the one that ships with it only spins and ignites the glow plug for 1 to 2 seconds at a time. not nearly enough time to start a cold engine.

Latest posts

Members online

Back