engine trouble

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeper341

King of England
hello,

Ran my Savvy today for the first time in 3 weeks. Its been running really well, popping wheelies no probs etc. But today it didn't want to pop up, the engine kept "bogging" as i approached WOT i richened it a bit as i thought maybe it was running lean, but it made little difference, any ideas guys??

Cheers

My X was doing this today, but i was still tuning from run in settings and as there was alot of blue smoke when it was bogging i leaned it more which sorted it.

was there much blue smoke coming from yours when it was bogging?

not a great deal, but i did lean it out a bit anyway but still did the same, i really need a temp. gun, I'm not sure how much I've leaned it out and i don't want to go too far

Can anyone help????????????? PLEASE!!!!!

hello everyone,:confused:

i'm new to this site, so please bare with me. thanks. i purchased my X on fri. didn't run it though. i started the break in process on sat. i put on blocks and let it run for a tank like the good book says. then i put another tank in and did some circles, oh and that was thrilling let me tell you. then i put, yet another tank in and did some small running with it in the grass. nothing over half throttle or anything that was too bumpy of a surface. oh i did take over a curb a couple of times, but like i said never went over half throttle. though my main problem is everytime i had tried to start it up it would only run if i gave it a little bump of gas. of course, it died a whole lot during this process, which i've been informed was very normal. well now, not only does my savvy's engine not want to turn over i chewed up like two teeth in the rotostart as well. i thought it was just me being retarted but my brother bought his savvy today and started breaking it in and his is doing the same thing as mine. and he has gone through like five teeth in his roto. as far as i can tell we were doing everythng by the book. can someone tell me what is going on and is this normal and can i fix this problem? Please i would love to enjoy my savvy.:(

Last edited by a moderator:
you might have a hydraulic lock on the piston (meaning it might be flooded with fuel). If the roto start does not turn the engine it means that there is somthing wrong, take the glow plug out and get rid of the excess fuel on top of the piston.

Hi Roninexpress, Like BEER said sounds like a fuel lock, i usually take off the air filter (make sure nothing gets in the carb) then take spark plug out and turn the truck upside down, pinch the fuel tube so it doesnt try to draw more fuel up and simply turn the truck over and give the engine a few turns and you will notice the change in sound. Just put it all back the way it was and then it should fire up. This fuel lock is a very common problem but until you experience it then this problem can appear confusing. Good luck with the rest of the break in procedure and rest assured your efforts will be greatly rewarded.;)

sleeper341 said:
hello,

Ran my Savvy today for the first time in 3 weeks. Its been running really well, popping wheelies no probs etc. But today it didn't want to pop up, the engine kept "bogging" as i approached WOT i richened it a bit as i thought maybe it was running lean, but it made little difference, any ideas guys??

Cheers
hey sleeper!
I know this problem, it has something to do with airleaks.
I didn`t use a ty-wrap to tighten the airfilter hose to the carb once and the engine acted like you described above.
I don`t say that you didn`t use a ty-wrap but maybe there is another airleak.
try taking off the carb and replace all o-rings.

trashard said:
hey sleeper!
I know this problem, it has something to do with airleaks.
I didn`t use a ty-wrap to tighten the airfilter hose to the carb once and the engine acted like you described above.
I don`t say that you didn`t use a ty-wrap but maybe there is another airleak.
try taking off the carb and replace all o-rings.

I'll give it a go trash cheers.

On a seperate note, my carb seems to be sticking open when the engines hot, any ideas on this anyone? has anyone else had this problem?

found possible leak, one of the ties on my pipe had snapped so i guess that could have cuased the 'bogging' problem. Still got a sticky carb when the engines hot though. Its fine when its cold.

sleeper341 said:
found possible leak, one of the ties on my pipe had snapped so i guess that could have cuased the 'bogging' problem. Still got a sticky carb when the engines hot though. Its fine when its cold.

did you check the O-rings?
I had a .12 engine and one of the O-rings was broken and a little piece of it jammed the carb.
only thing is that my carb wouldn`t open completely, with your carb it`s the opposite.
I don`t think that the tie on your pipe caused the engine to bog.
from what you told I think the defect is in the carb and only in the carb.
does it run fine after you put a new tie on it?
another place where airleaks can occur are the bearings.
take off the pullstarter and see if there is a lot of oil in the pullstarter or on the bearing.

Thanks, A Lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hello guys,

i have to say thanks to Beer and Macsquirty. :) your help was the best. my savvy is running top notch. you guys sure do know your stuff. i'll keep everyone informed with how things are going with my bad *** on wheels.:D

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back