Engine swap to 5.9

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovetats

I have a savage x 4.6 big block and I seem to have some problems getting the new 5.9 motor in, am I missing something? Shouldn't it fit just like the stock 4.6?

hitting ? as in bound up totally ? or just rubbing some. I am thinking you must have something slightly misaligned in either the mount or how the engine is sitting.... I would loosen up everything and give it another try and see....also make sure the clutch shoes and bell are seated properly too.....

also maybe a pic or 2 so we may see something you have missed.....

It's like it's pushed right up against the spur gear. I will take the motor out and take a few pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    758.7 KB · Views: 41
What engine mount are you using? The stock engine plate shouldn't have adjustability forwards and backwards, only side to side to allow for mating of the clutch to the spur. So that shouldn't be the issue.

can you take a picture of the mounting of the 5.9?

http://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/86080 HPI SAVAGE XL Engine plate....

http://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/86060 HPI Savage XL Engine mount....

http://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/86060 HPI Savage X engine mount

http://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/105896 HPI Savage X engine plate

so armed with this information I must believe that you have something bent, or misaligned to cause the bell to rub the spur........ the Only difference is the HPI Savage XL uses a slightly longer plate to mount the engine due to the longer chassis used in that rig......

i circled in black what looks to be the problem but cant tell for sure because of the pics bent tvp
tvp1_zps76a18d6d.jpg

Nothing should be bent as it was running perfect with the stock motor. I was looking for a motor for my buggy and got this one thinking I could put the 5.9 into the savage and take the 4.6 and put it in my ravanger (ofna 1/8 buggy with a .28 force motor)

I'm just saying what looks to be the issue motor is also at a angle and the tvp looks bent so it will make it all screwy and no engine will fit right
Ilovetats i would pull the tvp chassis plate on the muffler side and lay it flat on a table because it looks to be your issue

I don't know what to say but I assure u nothing is bent. Like I said it was running perfect with the stock motor and engine mount. I took that motor out, but the stock mount on the 5.9 and as u can see in the pic the top of the clutch bell is hitting the spur gear

well with all that gunk on the engine plate it is hard to see if there are any cracks, but something is either bent or something caz it should be a drop in far as runnin with the 4.6 fine I got no idea, but it needs further investigation for sure. clean it up and I am betting ya find the trouble.... a mix of 50/50 denatured alcohol and water will clean most of that crap off to make it easier to see, maybe an air compressor too....I use an old tooth brush for cleaning my stuff.... spray and brush a bit, blow off with air and done......

did you install a new collet in the flywheel the little brass looking piece that goes into the backside of the flywheel it could be a little long causing the whole flywheel assembly to be pushed forward.

Is that the stock spur gear. At least I have not seen that come with any of my 4.6 kits. Maybe that was within spec to work with the 4.6 but not the 5.9. Try looking at the assembly of the slipper clutch and maybe try a differrnt spur gear if you have one.

I'm using the harden spur gear and the clutch bell that comes with it and the flywheel is almost flush with the collet, I even tried a "werks racing" flywheel and clutch setup and had the same problem. I took everything off the stock .28 motor from the savage and put it in the 5.9 and it's not fitting. I will say again there was nothing wrong with the savage before I did the engine swap

Check out the spur gear that comes with the kit version. That will work. The teeth are not as wide and I use it on one of my trucks with the same mods and have no problems.

Kit version? So what u are saying it's not a direct drop in?
Could it be a shimming problem in between the clutch shoes and the clutch bell?
I also ment to say that the werks racing setup had a different size "brace" fitting so I rolled that out as well

Can you show us how you assembled the clutch? Did you put any washers under the clutch bell?

I can understand why people think there may be damage to your chassis. Every photo you post of it makes it seem bent. It may be a optical illusion from how the picture was taken.

That's the way the chassis looks I guess. If I have time tonight I will take the motor out and take pics on how I did the clutch assembly. Yes I have a spacer under the clutch bell,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 16
take that washer off the back of the bell I bet ya get the clearance ya need for the spur to not rub.... also remove that brass spacer and substitute a small piece of fuel tubing there. should help save the bearings and shoes some uneeded wear.....

Latest posts

Members online

Back