engine swap savage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad olson

I'm new to the nitro RC site I recently got my first savage I'm not exactly sure what kind of savage this is but it has the .25 motor in it that recently just blew up I am looking for a motor upgrade something bigger and more powerful??what's the biggest motor I can be put on the frame without breaking anything from the power of the motor?i heard good things about The lrp zr.30 and the lrp.28 motor also?can someone please give me some input on this stuff I am lost and I've been searching the web and really didn't Find what I'm looking for...will that motor be a direct fit?

Yes either engine will fit the savage platform, but I suggest looking over the drivetrain thouroughly to make sure all is in good shape, and please post up some pics that way it is easier to help you with this

i bought the LRP Z.28R Sec3 .... I love it, what a great engine, drops straight in no messing about, breaking in was easy, tuning was easy, makes a great amount of speed and power, cant fault it, the truck will wheelie on demand

but like jam said, you must make sure the drivetrain is in good shape, that includes the slipper cluch, diffs, gearbox as if theres a weakness that engine will find it

i bought the LRP Z.28R Sec3 .... I love it, what a great engine, drops straight in no messing about, breaking in was easy, tuning was easy, makes a great amount of speed and power, cant fault it, the truck will wheelie on demand

but like jam said, you must make sure the drivetrain is in good shape, that includes the slipper cluch, diffs, gearbox as if theres a weakness that engine will find it

sorry guys I don't know how to post pics can you help me out? where do I go to post them I tried posting Them but it keeps saying that the photo is too large

IMAG0168_zpsijdicvdg.jpg

ya host the pics at photobucket and then use the IMG and copy to post the picture here on the forum.....

I cannot get the pictures to post for some reason I will keep trying though I would really like to find out what engine I can use in a little bit more info on my frame

I Gott it !!! Finally! Check her out guys! the Savage is in really good shape its almost like new the guy that had it told me that he didn't really play with it only a few times and then he put it away and then went to the Marines so its been sitting for Awhile.....I was actually thinking about going with the Lrp zr.30 motor if that's possible to work on my setup?

Last edited:
You can do a pretty wide array of engines on this platform. The LRP .28 and .30 being a couple of them. The only difference will be as others have already stated, you're drive train may not last as long. This will necessitate upgrades, which I'm sure you'll want to do anyway.

Do u kno what kind of savage i have by the pic????I'm not familiar with these....so the lrp zr.30 will break my drive train...I just don't want to put too much money into it I would like to have some fun with it but have it reliable but powerful. . I will like to upgrade the motor Tho.

Well like anything putting more power to a vehicle it will find any and all weak points very quickly.....That looks like an early Savage but I am not that up on which is which, so a look at the differentials will probably be in order.... it probably has the plastic diff carriers in it and they will allow gear movement thus breaking gears and related parts, you can get the new engine and put it in and let the weak parts be exposed as you go..... but personally I would do some cleaning and checking first just to be sure of what you have.....

I'm a little confused I am looking up reviews on the. 30 and the Lrp 28 and they are saying the .28 is better than the .30 because it has more of a top speed ..can someone chime in and let me know about these two motors and which one would be better I'm more of a top speed guy I like speed..I am actually looking to buy a motor today on eBay so help would be appreciated thanks guys

thats a choice i had to make, i went with the z.28r spec 3, you cant go wrong with either of the engines, so just pick one, youll love it no matter which one you go for

the lrp engine made my truck a savage monster, i just cant fault the lrp engine, as i said in the previous post, tho i went for the z.28r spec3 as i wanted more revs, and wow does that engine deliver

i must advise that you be patient and break the engine in correctly

Latest posts

Members online

Back