Engine Size and clutch bell?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dociledragons

I just purchased a used savage X SS. He said he has had it for years so I'm not sure what size the engine is. I assume savage has increased engine size over the years. Is there a way to tell?

Also, I disassembled my Engine but, was unable to get the clutch bell off. You tube videos indicate it should just slip off. How do I get it off w/o any special tools?

thanks.

if it is an original savage x ss it should have a k4.6 ( same as an axial .28 spec1s ) the cooling head should be purple with machined spots on the side of the cooling fins. as for the clutch bell after the screw is removed from the end of the crankshaft it should just slide off. if it has been sitting for awhile there might be some corrosion keeping it on there so just force it gently and it should come off

if it is an original savage x ss it should have a k4.6 ( same as an axial .28 spec1s ) the cooling head should be purple with machined spots on the side of the cooling fins. as for the clutch bell after the screw is removed from the end of the crankshaft it should just slide off. if it has been sitting for awhile there might be some corrosion keeping it on there so just force it gently and it should come off

Thanks for the speedy reply.. Judging on your reply I have the 4.6. Thank you for that.

However, I did remove the screw for the clutch bell and try to gently pry the clutch bell out with no success. I feel I used maximum pressure before damaged accrued.

Any other hints.....

if your motor is apart you can always remove the spacer behind the screw , put the screw back in and tap the ends of the crank on a block of wood. that might dislodge the clutch bell. short of that soak it in penetrating oil over night

A little heat from a heat gun goes a long way to dislodge thread locked screws

if your motor is apart you can always remove the spacer behind the screw , put the screw back in and tap the ends of the crank on a block of wood. that might dislodge the clutch bell. short of that soak it in penetrating oil over night

ok thanks ill give that a try

Peanut butter? Lol think your getting taken care of ..but maybe try placing a flat screw driver between the clutch bell and the fly wheel and prying it loose that way. The bearings might be holding it up from excessive heat..

Tried prying with a screwdriver already. Next time I have it apart I'll try the above. Thanks everybody for the replies

Well, tore the engine down to seal it up. Still was unable to remove the bell. Tried a blow dryer as I didn't have a heat gun. Maybe I should of stuck it in the oven. O' well I'm sure nothing needed to be replace anyway. (crossing fingers)

thanks. I did get the clutch bell off. thanks to the squall guys vid. Ended up using a "battery post remover tool"

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back