Engine Shimming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrasher6

Ok, this may sound naive, but in many posts throughout HPISF, is see people talking about engine shims. What is engine shimming? Can someone please explain this to me so I can understand it and start doing whatever it is I'm supposed to be doing? Thanks! :slapped:

the shimms people refer to are located under the head button, they allow the mill to have a lower compression ratio (by increasing the area where combustion takes place, comp. ratio is squish volume-the last little bit of area left above the piston at top dead centre, or tdc, to the swept volume, ie the area below the squishey bt, from piston at tdc to bdc, bottom dead centre)

a shim looks like this:
2_lg.jpg

sorry for the marine pic, but you gets the idea...

now, once a mill is broken in, you can remove some shims, increasing the compression ratio-as the squish volume is reduced, see. this basically gives more power, but it can wear an engine out quicker, also it may be harder to start the engine, loosening of the glow plug may be required. And as our engines do not have piston rings, ala normal ic engines, you can expect more 'blow by' if you increase the compression too high (basically the pressure above the piston is too great, the air/fuel mixture 'blows by' the piston, back into the crank case, therefore reducing power.

hope this helps. DS

Last edited by a moderator:
DarkShine nailed it. Just remove ONE shim at a time, take it slow and carefull. I have never removed more than one shim, didn't see the need to remove another.

On the sts .30 the factory says remove 3 shimms after brakein, I have only removed one so far and this weekend I will remove another !!!

Thank you very much for the tutorial - that helped a lot as a matter of fact. Jester - let us know how that works out for you - that's one of the engines I'm thinking about getting next, along with possibly the Axial 32.

Since I'm already asking "simple" questions, when you say "mill," I have to assume you mean the engine itself? Why does everyone call it a mill? Is that just a European term and that's why I don't get it or is it something else? Thanks!

to be honest matey i haden't heard an engine called a mill, till i came on here, so i thought it was an americain saying...i used to call engines lumps, till i went to college/uni!!! anyone shed any light on the term 'mill', as i would like to know as well!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back