Engine caught on fire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marialice

Hello Folks.....Ok I bought anHPI Savage XS Flux back in 2011.
It has been sitting for about a year. I took it out yesterday, and after about 10 minutes the engine caught on fire and completely melted. Could using too large a battery have caused that? I had a
5000mAh /50C / 7.4V battery in it.

That battery should have been fine. How was it driving? Any odd noises? Sounds like either something was wrong internally to the motor, or the driveline had so much friction that it severely overheated the motor. This could be caused by poor mesh of pinion to spur .

There were no odd noises and it was running like a bat out of hell. All of a sudden it just stopped and started whinning. Then poof.........smoke then fire. I had not serviced it at all since it was sitting. I have it's big brother the Savage Flux and I just don't want that happening to that one. In all honesty I have had trouble with the XS since i got it when it 1st came out. I am sure there have been many tweaks since it's 1st inception. Thank you for your reply. I just wanted to be sure I didn't intentionally kill it.

I suppose it's possible that something went wrong in the ESC and caused a short circuit through one of the motor windings. It sounds like it might be time for a new motor/ESC combo.

It might also be a good idea to check your bearings and gears and stuff to make sure nothing is dragging.

I suppose it's possible that something went wrong in the ESC and caused a short circuit through one of the motor windings. It sounds like it might be time for a new motor/ESC combo.

It might also be a good idea to check your bearings and gears and stuff to make sure nothing is dragging.

Here are some pics of what it looks like. Is it truly worth replacing or just going out and buying a whole new unit. The damage looks a bit extensive. Can it even be repaired?

Attachments

• h1.jpg
    h1.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 15
  • h2.jpg
    h2.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 15
  • h3.jpg
    h3.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 14
Definitely melted the whole ESC package. My guess is that the PCB inside didn't fair well either. I would say it is definitely in your best interest to buy a new ESC/ motor combo.

Wow! Is the motor still ok? Looks like just the ESC blew up.
If the motor tests ok with another good ESC I would recommend getting a stock replacement ESC because it fits so perfectly in the frame rails.
Also, one thing I appreciate about the savage XS is that it really doesn't need any upgrades in the power plant department... It's quite overpowered.
I wonder if your cooling fan failed and aided in the meltdown...

Latest posts

Members online

Back