Eg sport 25

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riosvt

Anyone running one of the eg engines from hobbyking? Building a old Savage 25 for my wife just as a basher. Just wondering if this is a decent engine of should I spend a little more and get a dynamite?

TL;DR
Up your budget a bit and go for a highly reputable companies motor, cheap stuff never lasts.
LRP have a great motor if you can get your hands on one. For just a basher I'm sure dynamites stuff are great for what you need ??

My long ass story:
I'm an LRP fanboy so if you want my opinion I'd say all motors are trash except LRP motors #blueisbetter ??

All seriousness though. I had a look at the eg sport 28 as that is probably the best suited engine for 1/8th monster trucks. I'd actually looking at a larger displacement engine but they don't have anything bigger.
Heaps of reviews, all very highly rated but I'm not sold. All reviews are done as soon as the customer had received the motor, hardly a good indication of longevity and ease of use etc.

I found a briliant review though on this motor from an italian fellow, he's his translated review:
"Given the price I wanted to try it, the result that I wasted 50, not bad. The engine seen from the outside is not bad for the price, the collar of the 15, not 14mm caburine as the standard, apart from this the problem lies in the tolerances of the crankshaft: the first start started on the second pull of the tear, I I immediately realized that something was wrong when I started to see the number of bubbles from the tank ... the engine was obviously incurable. I performed this test: inserting the mixture with a syringe from the carburettor I noticed that it leaks profusely from the front bench bearing and from the pawl where the unidirectional runs, ergo sucks air, and not a little. Once the shaft was dismantled, I was able to appreciate the excessive play between it and the bearings. Too bad because it could have been an excellent engine if only they had respected tolerances! Then maybe I received a defective piece ... hopefully! "

I would be willing to bet that these motors have very low tolerances and QOS. That is after-all where most of the extra money in R&D goes.
I work in R&D, albeit in gas detection designing gas detectors but the same principal applies anywhere.
Most of the money will go into the actual design of a product, in this gas a nitro motor. Its been done before so its easy for a company to reverse engineer a competitors product. The problem lies in tolerancing and QOS, where a "name brand" or well know high quality company spends extra money making sure the product is designed to spec and will last and to make sure in mass production that the variance is minimal.
This is where companies will try save money, resulting in overall a great looking product but doesn't have the reliability of others.
Not even to mention the fact that a cheaper company would use cheaper materials, again resulting in an overall poorer product.

So, all in all like the review states, its cheap and works so I guess if you wanna buy cheap then go and grab one of these. If you can up your budget tho, you won't be disappointed.

Looks like I will pass on the eg. I had been looking for good reviews on it and couldn't really find any. Thanks for the info. This Savage has sat unused for a unknown number of years. I got it in a package deal and the original engine was stuck. Got it freed up and disassembled. Not too bad on the inside except for the inside crank bearing and figured I would be money ahead to just replace.

Latest posts

Members online

Back