easy mid tank lean fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnarkill

I got tired of filling my tank every few minutes to keep from leaning me out. I used a Sullivan round style tank (# 401) and mounted that as a ballast tank. It ran great and fixed the MTL. I notched my radio box so I could fit a zip ties through. I used shoe goo to stick it onto the tvp. This cost me less than $6, so this is in my opinion is the cheapest and easiest way to solve MTL and you don't need to sacrifice tank size. Here's what it looks like:
tank.jpg

Do you think the height of the ballast compared to the stock tank is the deciding factor in how it works? I was wondering if you could mount it somewhere else like the rear shock tower so it was a little more protected. I was wondering if anyone knew the exact cause of HTL? Is it the pressure change in the tank or is it the height of the fuel compared to the carb causing a weaker siphon because of gravity? I've seen different fixes that address one affect or the other but the only one that seems to deal with both is the mid tank mod. It raises the bottom of the tank and also eliminates the step shape of the stock tank. So which is it, pressure or gravity, that causes HTL????????????

Do you think the height of the ballast compared to the stock tank is the deciding factor in how it works? I was wondering if you could mount it somewhere else like the rear shock tower so it was a little more protected. I was wondering if anyone knew the exact cause of HTL? Is it the pressure change in the tank or is it the height of the fuel compared to the carb causing a weaker siphon because of gravity? I've seen different fixes that address one affect or the other but the only one that seems to deal with both is the mid tank mod. It raises the bottom of the tank and also eliminates the step shape of the stock tank. So which is it, pressure or gravity, that causes HTL????????????

I don't think that it is the height of the tank because the header tank is almost level with the "rib" in the center of the stock tank. It's unequal pressure throughout the tank that causes MTL. You could put the tank in the back not much further than that because they need to be relatively close.

It is equal to the middle of the tank, but it also has a much smaller drop in height throughout the ballast tank so it is drawing fuel from the about same height regardless of how much fuel is in the main tank. The siphon doesn't change as much because of the height of the siphon point, compared to the height of the carb??? I guess that wouldn't change with the stock tank either, only the pressure to that siphon point, so your probably right. Just food for thought. Maybe Purenitro or someone else could shed some light on this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Back