e-savage robot project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bjorn

Hi guys,

I'm a guy from Belgium looking for a new project :) and some advice. I have 2 esavage trucks laying around so I tought lets build a robot. To make things worse I had the brilliant idea to merge them together in order to turn by driving left and right in the opposite direction. So lets see if my idea was actually that brilliant. :D

dsc_0569_1-jpg.2374

dsc_0567-jpg.2375

dsc_0568-jpg.2376

dsc_0570-jpg.2377

After looking at this and then trying , I bumped into a few problems.

1) The shocks are nowhere near powerfull enough to hold its own weight let alone with the actual load (at least 8 extra pounds). Thats why you see no shocks in the picture.

2) The gearsbox ratio is to high. I want more control in the lower rpm's. In other words reduce the max speed.

3) The diffs are not working anymore because I cut the savage in half. So I had to mount the
4 shaft ends of the savages to the chasis which is not that nice because you hear them moving and clicking when you power the motors.

4) the wheels are too flat at this point to drive.

So my question is do you guys have some advice or can you point me in the right directionto modify the savage in order to use it this way. If the advice is to get another platform then you may be right ;).

Anyway thanks in advance!
Cheers

Attachments

• DSC_0569_1.jpg
    DSC_0569_1.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0567.JPG
    DSC_0567.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0568.JPG
    DSC_0568.JPG
    225.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0570.JPG
    DSC_0570.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 1
Hi guys,

I'm a guy from Belgium looking for a new project :) and some advice. I have 2 esavage trucks laying around so I tought lets build a robot. To make things worse I had the brilliant idea to merge them together in order to turn by driving left and right in the opposite direction. So lets see if my idea was actually that brilliant. :D

dsc_0569_1-jpg.2374

dsc_0567-jpg.2375

dsc_0568-jpg.2376

dsc_0570-jpg.2377

After looking at this and then trying , I bumped into a few problems.

1) The shocks are nowhere near powerfull enough to hold its own weight let alone with the actual load (at least 8 extra pounds). Thats why you see no shocks in the picture.

2) The gearsbox ratio is to high. I want more control in the lower rpm's. In other words reduce the max speed.

3) The diffs are not working anymore because I cut the savage in half. So I had to mount the
4 shaft ends of the savages to the chasis which is not that nice because you hear them moving and clicking when you power the motors.

4) the wheels are too flat at this point to drive.

So my question is do you guys have some advice or can you point me in the right directionto modify the savage in order to use it this way. If the advice is to get another platform then you may be right ;).

Anyway thanks in advance!
Cheers
Wow! love your Frankenstein work so far. That kind of width I'd expect duboling up on big bores. Just to keep it close, lst2 shocks perhaps . Don't give up! Looks wild, can't wait to see vids of it running!!

I think I found a solution for problem 3 and that is locking the diff. At this point the power of the motor goes to the wheel with the least resistance and this is ofcource the axis with no wheel attached to it. ( You should've seen my face we I powered up this setup :D everyting was turning exept the wheels) If I lock the diff, both axes should receive equal amount of power. Or am I wrong?

To answer your question yes locking the diffs will send power to both wheels equally, providing the center differential is also locked down if so equipped.....

also to stiffen the shocks you can also try very heavy springs and oil to help or as suggested use either some big bores or losi lst shocks with heavy springs and oil...

Good Luck with the project and keep the pics coming...

I like the fuel you are posting in the pics...Jack Daniels, Johnny Walker...etc. are they 25% nitro? with this tipe of fuel you will able to build 4 Savages...:D

Last edited:
So just to tell what i'm doing now.
dsc_0574-jpg.2379

Just to have an idea how big it is :).

dsc_0575-jpg.2380

I have 4x 4000 mah battteries 30C. So this should give me a peak power of 120 Amps.
dsc_0577-jpg.2382

I'm preparing the motor power connection to be compatible with the LiPo batteries. Just need to go to the store and get some shrink protection.

dsc_0576-jpg.2381

This should be my control unit. the bottom pcb is an old lynxmotion SSC32 with 32 servo channel (motor controllers and servo's). The left pcb is a breakoutbord for the wifi bluetooth gumstix processor which is running linux and on the right of course the playstation 3 controller. In the future I need to amplify the range of the controller ( By using a 433 or 866 Mhz transmittor or something ). If everything goes well I should have a running truck video this weekend with the stock controller.

I disabled the steering servo at this point. So in order to turn I need to power the motors in opposite direction. I hope the diffs can handle the torque. I have a vague feeling that this won't work and need to go back to the steering servo's. Future will tell...

Attachments

• DSC_0574.JPG
    DSC_0574.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0575.JPG
    DSC_0575.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0576.JPG
    DSC_0576.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0577.JPG
    DSC_0577.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 1
Yeah I know, we'll see. I got everything working now. It's doing what I want. I will post a video later this day. It's raining outside at the moment.

Members online

No members online now.
Back