DX3S = Non moving Savage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Javage

Hey guys, I got my DX3S eariler this weekend, got everything all hooked up last night(telemetry RPM sensor is a pain, btw) and when out to try it all out a few minutes ago.

My truck is a Savage X 4.6 w/ factory 2spd and I installed reverse. Before the DX3S I had to use a mixer along with the reverse, but now that I have a 3rd channel I hooked the reverse servo directly into the new spektrum AUX channel.

Heres my problem:
Truck will not engage FORWARD. Reverse works perfectly but when I try to switch back to Forward it acts like its in neutral and just revs. Once when I first start it up it worked correctly then sometimes it will just kick into neutral, if I do try to switch from FWD->REV->FWD it will kick into neutral.

It kinda did this before with the HPI radio equiptment, but I was always able to get it back into gear by holding the brake a little longer(holding the brake for 3sec. is how the reverse engaged).

Any suggestions/ ideas?

check out if the rev. servo is moving the metal plate (that gets out from the mod.) 100% to the end of the way here is a pic of how it should be when FWR. :
18102009664.jpg

if it's not moving good try to reset it and see if it gets right

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya it looks like yours in the pic, the metal plate is pushed back as far as it will go.

then you have checked the servo and you are sure when you engage reverse the servo works and the servo arm has enough throw to fully engage the lever linkage then check if there is some broken gears in the reverse module

Last edited by a moderator:
Check your endpoint for the aux channel. You may need to increase the travel to fully engage the forward gear.

Or just take the reverse module out. Its a savage, reverse is not needed.....LOL!!

Check your endpoint for the aux channel. You may need to increase the travel to fully engage the forward gear.

Or just take the reverse module out. Its a savage, reverse is not needed.....LOL!!

Could you explain a little bit more about the endpoint for the AUX channel. . . I'm still new to all of this.

And take the reverse out. . .NEVER! Ha.

Could you explain a little bit more about the endpoint for the AUX channel. . . I'm still new to all of this.

And take the reverse out. . .NEVER! Ha.

lol just kidding man :D..
i think allan means with the end point of the AUX channel is like the end point of the steer. servo (for EX.) you can set how much you want your wheels to turn from your DX3S if it's 100% the wheels will turn all the way they can if it's 50% they will turn half of the way if 25% will turn till the quarter of the way etc.....
so if i understand what allan means with the end point.
you should check the AUX end point if it's set to 100% or not if not set it at 100% and test if it works else as i told you check if you have any broken gears inside the rev. module

farmi explained it exactly how I meant it. you should be able to adjust those electronic endpoints out to 125%, be carefull tho, because if you adjust the endpoint too much on an analog servo, you will roast the servo.

Not sure if you have a manual, but click the link below to go to Spektrums website where you will see a link for a manual. In that manual on page 12 it talks about "travel" , this is the endpoint setting I was referring to. Adjust the travel so the servo fully engages in oth directions. On page 13 talks about exponential. You want this number at 0 for all your settings, unless you need something different for your specific needs. On page 18 it talks about the Aux setting specifically. You do not want to use the mixer, so make sure that is off, then set the other settings to whatever you desire. Hope this helps you get the reverse problem fixed, I still say yank that thing out of there..LOL!

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Support.aspx?ProdID=SPM3140#manuals

I know my DX3R can only do 3 position Aux well not only but as far as the reverse goes and it takes 2 button pushes to go to reverse and 2 to go back to forward. gas it on the first click and good bye reverse. I say no loss but...

Update, I turned the low Travel up to 120% and it seems to be working fine.

How would I know if/when I increase the travel too much that it would toast the servo?

Thanks guys, it was something simple-like it usually is. And if I do end up toasting my servo, o'well it just a cheap SF-1.

Latest posts

Members online

Back