DX2, what are you using?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordohigh

What radio are you all using? I bought a DX2 today, and I love it. I am currently using 8 NI MH battery's, and the battery level indicator after I was done was at 10.8V. I know it is a 12 volt sustem, but it will run fine down to 9 volts, as per the manual.

I am thinking about using a lithium battery, like we use in the electric helicopter world, and we use these same battery's in our DX7 transmitters. For instance, a 3 cell battery top's out at 12.6 volts, and will hold that voltage for a long, long time at low withdrawel rate, (like a transmitter). I am also thinking about using a BEC, (battery elimanator circuit), to power my RX, along with a 7.4 volt, (it is 8.2v when fully charged), LiPo battery. Reason is, these battery's hold their voltage real good, and are easy, and fast to charge, (but somewhat costly).

Just thought I'd throw that out there for the group to chew on, thanks guy's, gordo

I wish I had a fancy radio, I have the stock hpi radio....waaaaaaaaaaa!

I run the DX3, mine will work till around 9 volts I don't remember the exact voltage, but it starts beeping when it gets low. One charge I'm usually good for about 10 hours of use.

I run the DX3, mine will work till around 9 volts I don't remember the exact voltage, but it starts beeping when it gets low. One charge I'm usually good for about 10 hours of use.

Does the DX3 transmitter come with a rechargable battery pack? The DX2 came with a pack for installing your own AA battery's. My LHS said they didn't have a battery pack for the DX2, so been thinking about making my own as described above.

On my DX7 heli radio, I have the 3 cell lithium pack and I only charge it about once every 3 weeks, with flights about 3-4 times a week. The nice thing about it is I can charge the battery in about 20 minitues on my TP1010 charger and 210V balancer. Since I already have this equipment, It might be my best option.

I am very happy with the Spektrum radio, no more servos with the Jitters when I touch a screwdriver to tune, and no more glitches at all.

Does the DX3 transmitter come with a rechargable battery pack? The DX2 came with a pack for installing your own AA battery's. My LHS said they didn't have a battery pack for the DX2, so been thinking about making my own as described above.

No I just used hobby grade rechargeable batteries and got a charger to fit the receptacle on the radio.

I use DX3, love it thoiugh it feels a little cheaply built to some more expensive TXs

i read faq on spectrum site the other day, stated sr3000 rx was good to operate at 9v depending on what the servos could handle. so you possible do not need the BEC

Quote from Here
"What is the voltage range of the SR3000 receiver and can I use a 2-cell Li-Po pack direct?
The receiver can handle up to 9.6 volts. The real limitations are the servos. Some servos are capable of operating at higher voltages while others are not. Check with the servo manufacturer that you're using for specific details."

Yea, guy's, I love the Spektrum revolution and am currently waiting for the modules for my T12ZH futaba helicopter tx..

The servo's are generally rated for 4.8v and 6.0 volt. I haven't seen any servo with a rating higher, although they may exist.

I may be soldering 2 leads from my tx battery chamber, and install a deans connector, and might be the first to adapt a 3cell LiPo to operate it. If I do this, I will take pic's and post them for others to decide if it's for them. Spektrum is an awesome radio IMHO. gordo

No I just used hobby grade rechargeable batteries and got a charger to fit the receptacle on the radio.

Are hobby grade rechargable battery's the 1.2v ni mh battery's, or are they a different voltage and ni cad batt's. Reason I ask is I have a spektrum ni cad charger that puts out 11.6v. This might be the voltage that those rechargable battery's charge to. The charger came from my dx7, which I do not use the battery pack from and could be used for this application maybe??

Any info will be appreciated, gordo

I am using Sanyo brand that I got at the Hobby shop. It was a package deal the pack battery and a charger for the radio. I have had good luck with that set. I had another set in the other radio not sure of the brand, if they lasted a day I was lucky.

JT, does that battery pack you have charge up to about 11.5~6 volt's. I ask because I had a pack that came with my Spektrum DX7 that is 9.6, nominal, but charges up to 11.6 volts. I took the pack apart, and put the individual cell's in the DX2 battery pack. I then charged it with the DX7 battery charger that came with the radio. It charged up to 11.6 volt's, and is working great. I don't know what the time of operation will be, but I bet it's at least 6 hours.

Anyway, The sharing of information is an awesome thing for sure, gordo

Mine charges up to 11.6 and lasts me a decent amount of time, more than a day of run time for me. I usually get 2 days of running hard about 4-5 hours a day before I charge it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's good, I think I can probably expect similar times for mine. My next project will to get my rx battery upgraded, will post when I get it done, gordo

I hooked 2 6 volt hump packs into my JR radios battery box and the one in the Spectrum is the same size. I get outrageous battery life and it gives me 13+ volts
000_0181.jpg

000_0178.jpg

Have any of you folks seen the new DX3r radio by spektrum! SWeeeetttt! I did a bit of research and couldn't find out if the old receivers would work with the new radio. I wonder if anyone has a bead on this issue? That would be my only concern. Otherwise, i am getting a DX3 with two receivers within the month. Can't beat the spektrum radio for bashing..

The Dx2 radio comes with the 3 ch rx, so I'm confident that the surface spektrum rx's will work with the DX3 TX.

I would ask first, but I really don't believe spektrum would do something stupid like making a reciever that would become obsolite after upgrading to a one channel higher transmitter.

I have put a little more time on my DX2, and have zero complaint's. I am loving this setup for sure. Now, If I could find a use for the 2xservo's that come with the tx/rx kit, I would be happy. I know one is a high tork, fairly fast servo, but the other is questionable. Anyone using these two servo's in their truck?
Whoops!! just reread the post and see you said DX3r, what is the *R* for?

Have any of you folks seen the new DX3r radio by spektrum! SWeeeetttt! I did a bit of research and couldn't find out if the old receivers would work with the new radio. I wonder if anyone has a bead on this issue? That would be my only concern. Otherwise, i am getting a DX3 with two receivers within the month. Can't beat the spektrum radio for bashing..

Pulled from the Spektrum website

The Spektrum DX3R does what few thought possible before, and that is to improve upon Spektrum’s patented 2.4GHz DSM technology. With the advent of the new DSM2 protocol, the DX3R and SR3100 provide hobbyists with the fastest, most precise, safest, and easiest-to-program radio system ever available. For existing Spektrum users, the DX3R is even compatible with previous generation receivers, providing an even greater value.

Latest posts

Members online

Back