Drive shafts too short

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Spicer

Hi, I have just bought a Savage XL second hand from a friend. It was owned and converted from a standard car to an XL chassis (we think) by a guy that works in a model shop near us. My friend only had it two weeks and then bought a Baja so I bought this from him. The car looks almost new and is in shelf Queen condition but I am having problems.
The main thing is the drive shafts (or dog bones), there seems to be a large amount of play in them and they seem too short.
I have purchased a manual and measured them. The overall length is 130mm and 123mm from the sticky out parts end to end which is the measurement that matches part no:86246 in the XL manual so maybe they are right??
The front's have so much play one is popping out on full steering lock and it has chewed and damaged the end of the axle. I went to a model shop yesterday and he coiled up some fuel line and put it in the axle for me but it fell out after five minutes :(
I went to another model shop today and he just shrugged his shoulders and agreed there is a lot of play.

Has anyone got any ideas?? I have only had this car a week and have not been able to use it properly yet so any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

James

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    734.5 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    705.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
there should be a black o ring in each outdrive so I think thats the problem you have they look to be missing. go to the hardware store and see if they have some that fit just inside the cups. also I would replace that cup end ya have that is too tore up to be much good....

there should be a black o ring in each outdrive so I think thats the problem you have they look to be missing. go to the hardware store and see if they have some that fit just inside the cups. also I would replace that cup end ya have that is too tore up to be much good....

Nice one, I'll give it a try.

Cheers

Jam's right!

Also, welcome to the forum James Spicer!

Latest posts

Members online

Back